App Freezing Issue on iOS

App Freezing Issue on iOS

Hi All,

We are facing one issue on the App developed using Outsystems. 

When we open app on iOS and leave the app on background while doing some other work on other apps and open the OS app again from the taskbar, the app becomes non - responsive. In that case, we have to close the app and reopen the app again.

Do any of you face the same problem and know the solution for it, then please let us know.

Regards,

Akshay Tank

Akshay Tank wrote:

Hi All,

When we open app on iOS and leave the app on background while doing some other work on other apps and open the OS app again from the taskbar, the app becomes non - responsive. In that case, we have to close the app and reopen the app again.

Do any of you face the same problem and know the solution for it, then please let us know.

Regards,

Akshay Tank

Hi, 

our applications are freezing as well on the iOS.

There was an earlier discussion about this and it seems like this is quite common issue.

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/35329/post-ios-11-3-mobile-app-freeze-crash-on-resume-after-sleep-silk-ui/

-J

Jacob J wrote:

Akshay Tank wrote:

Hi All,

Regards,

Akshay Tank

Hi, 

our applications are freezing as well on the iOS.

There was an earlier discussion about this and it seems like this is quite common issue.

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/35329/post-ios-11-3-mobile-app-freeze-crash-on-resume-after-sleep-silk-ui/

-J

Thanks Jacob, 

Did you find anything to resolve the issue for your app or is it still freezing on iOS ?

Hello All,
We have this problem and have contacted outsystems support, they did a great job on helping us and had a workarround in place but at the time we couldn´t upgrade the platform verssion so it was not possible to apply this change, perhaps you should open a support case and try to find a solution with outsystems,

Best Regards,
Francisco Freire.

Francisco Freire wrote:

Hello All,
We have this problem and have contacted outsystems support, they did a great job on helping us and had a workarround in place but at the time we couldn´t upgrade the platform verssion so it was not possible to apply this change, perhaps you should open a support case and try to find a solution with outsystems,

Best Regards,
Francisco Freire.

Thanks Francisco  for sharing your experience, it will surely help us.

Solution

Hello all,

We've also had that exact same issue with our iOS app. We contacted Outsystems support and they were able to confirm that this was a platform issue caused by a change made by Apple to its UIWebView. They said that the issue was already fixed and would be a part of a new platform release in the coming 2/3 weeks. This was at the beginning of this month, so that release should be coming any day now.

Solution

Aurelio Junior wrote:

Hello all,

We've also had that exact same issue with our iOS app. We contacted Outsystems support and they were able to confirm that this was a platform issue caused by a change made by Apple to its UIWebView. They said that the issue was already fixed and would be a part of a new platform release in the coming 2/3 weeks. This was at the beginning of this month, so that release should be coming any day now.

Thanks for sharing this info Aurelio Junior.

Just an additional question to this issue, out of curiousity:

I just published a new iOS app for testing purposes, and I found that I ran into this same app-freeze-issue on my iPhone. The phone was not updated to the most recent iOS version. The issue was solved by installing the latest update. 

Would I be able to workaround this freeze-issue somehow (onAppWakeOrResume or similar event), so that it would work on both iPhone devices that do have iOS updated, and those that do not? 

Or can I only avoid this issue, by asking my users to update their iPhones/iPads?

Hi Andras,

In my case, we just relied on Outsystem's fix to solve the issue and didn't really investigate it further. Are you using the latest version of the Outsystems platform? I would hope that this issue is fixed, even for devices with outdated iOS versions.

Hi Aurelio,

I was using the Outsystems cloud platform 10.0.830.0, but an old iOS version (11.3) on the phone, when I ran into this issue. It seems that this is an issue with iOS 11.3 on other platforms as well (I saw Framework7/PhoneGap reporting the same issue).

But as I had an updated Outsystems version and I ran into this issue in spite of that, it seems to me that the issue is only fixed for updated iOS devices, and iOS 11.3 phones will still run into this problem (unable to verify this now as I have only 1 iOS device, and its iOS version is up-to-date now, and there the problem is solved). 

Hence the question if I can workaround this issue to some extent, by capturing this usage pattern, and react to it somehow. 

Probably, the users of the app would not be ok with the app freezing when switching back from other apps, and I'm hoping to avoid being the one who tells them to upgrade their phones :)