Mobile app: update via appstore or use built-in update mechanism?

Mobile app: update via appstore or use built-in update mechanism?

Our customer has an app in both appstores. The general rule is that when we release a new version, only in certain cases you have to update via the appstores. For example when a plugin has been added. Our experience is that the built-in update mechanism does not work flawless, especially with persistent login and the user has not used the app for some time. So we consider updating via the appstores with every deployment to production. Does any of you out there experience with this matter?

Best regards,

Leen Rietveld.

Hi Leen,

Out experience is that, unfortunately, it's more often needed to update the entire app (in our case not via the App Store, as it's an internal application) than one would expect given the official documentation. In at least one case some changes to the data model caused us to have to remove the app entirely and reinstall the new version.

So yes, pushing every version of the app to the App Store / Play Store is possible, but the main problem persists, as the old version of the app will try to update nonetheless, possibly causing the app to fail. Just my $.02.

Hi

I agree with you both. We have run into the same problems and have identified that it is when updating or changing anything on the local data model. The fix we have been able to do (on Android as I know no way to do this on iOS) is to delete all app local data (System > Apps > Your App > Force Stop /Delete All Data) and then open the app again so it is able to update. 

@Kilian Do you know if there is any way to catch the app's onUpdate event? Maybe we could try deleting all local data before allowing the app to update itself

Regards,

CLSJ

I'm unfortunately not aware of any possibility to intercept the "OnUpdate" (if there is even such a thing).