Is there any dependency (PE) of OutSystems in mobile app once published to play store

Is there any dependency (PE) of OutSystems in mobile app once published to play store

In the personal environment, Our code is available on outsystemscloud. So here is the dependency of OutSystems.

But in the mobile app, Once we generate our APK with completely offline code and if required I will use external API's.

So now,  Is my app depend on OS?

What will happen if I closed my OS account?

Hi Amol,

For one, you would never be able to update your app.

As for whether the app can continue to run in semi-offline mode, I'm not sure. Remember that if you consume a REST API on a Mobile App, that's still going through the server. So unless you contact your external APIs through JavaScript directly, it won't work once your environment can't be reached.

Thanks for you reply Kilian.

Suppose, I don't want to update my app anymore.

And why external REST API (consumed through Interactions) will go through OS if I'm using completely outside of OS API's. It should hit that URL directly.

Because I have downloaded the APK file and get all the functionality in it.

So I'm just curious about it to know how that APK is depended on OS.

Solution

Hi Amol,

If you do everything client side your app will continue to work even if your environment expires.

But, as Killian as said, you will not be able to update it.

Cheers,

José

Solution

Hi Amol,

And why external REST API (consumed through Interactions) will go through OS if I'm using completely outside of OS API's. It should hit that URL directly.

There's a number of good reasons why that is the way it is (security, for one), but that is the way it is. So if you have consumed REST APIs, you cannot use them when you shut down the server.

I guess you can't get the last version of the generated source code for your applications for personal cloud.

https://success.outsystems.com/Evaluation/Architecture/2_OutSystems_Platform_architecture/10_Standard_architecture_with_no_lock-in

José Costa wrote:

Hi Amol,

If you do everything client side your app will continue to work even if your environment expires.

But, as Killian as said, you will not be able to update it.

Cheers,

José

Thank you Jose.

That is what I want. Just for general information.

I will also try the same by using some other OS account.

If anyone else already tried, Can mention it here.