[Advanced Excel] Can we export the chart to excel?

[Advanced Excel] Can we export the chart to excel?

Forge Component
(42)
Published on 8 Oct by Hanno
42 votes
Published on 8 Oct by Hanno

Hi, I'm looking for component that can export chart (column chart and bar chart) to excel file base on value in entity. 

So far, I found AdvancedExcel and ExcelReport extension might be able to help on this, but I'm encountered error in ExcelReport which waiting for the reply.

Hoping to see anyone got idea to achieve my question.

Thanks in advance.

Hi xiaohui, your chart is fed by data that you got in preparation or in an action. You need to pass that same data to the excel, it is not related with the chart

Afonso Aguas wrote:

Hi xiaohui, your chart is fed by data that you got in preparation or in an action. You need to pass that same data to the excel, it is not related with the chart

Hi Afonso

I able to pass the data to the excel but how to generate the chart in the excel once the excel is downloaded and without any manual editing?

In additional, I have several charts with data from different aggregates need to export into 1 excel file, preferably in one sheet.

Do u have sample that can share with me which can export the data to excel with chart?

Oh, you want to create the graph on the excel! Well, in that case you can play around with that ExcelReport extension, there's a sample in the page https://meiras.outsystemscloud.com/ExcelReportDemo/DownloadDemo.aspx. If you want anything more specific you will need to implement it yourself in C# using the EPPlus library that most of these components use.

Afonso Aguas wrote:

Oh, you want to create the graph on the excel! Well, in that case you can play around with that ExcelReport extension, there's a sample in the page https://meiras.outsystemscloud.com/ExcelReportDemo/DownloadDemo.aspx. If you want anything more specific you will need to implement it yourself in C# using the EPPlus library that most of these components use.

I downloaded the demo before, but there is errors and not able to publish. I submitted in their forum too. But no reply from them.

I posted here because i saw the description in this component mentioned "Advanced Excel integration with the export/import of Excel files. Enables data formatting, even automatic creation of Excel charts."

that's why I am curious to know how to make graph in the excel by using AdvancedExcel.

Advanced Excel uses the EPPlus library for .NET integration with Excel, this library implements a class Drawing that is used for the creation and manipulation of Excel graphs. (https://github.com/JanKallman/EPPlus/wiki/Shapes,-Pictures-and-Charts).

After going through the code of the Advanced Excel extension I can't find any mention of that class, so I'm assuming even though it says that it can create charts, it cannot.

As to the ExcelReport extension I can't quite figure out what it's doing since it uses a compiled .dll to work its magic.

Can you upload the OML where you're using the ExcelReport extension, and i'll try to make it work?

Afonso Aguas wrote:

Advanced Excel uses the EPPlus library for .NET integration with Excel, this library implements a class Drawing that is used for the creation and manipulation of Excel graphs. (https://github.com/JanKallman/EPPlus/wiki/Shapes,-Pictures-and-Charts).

After going through the code of the Advanced Excel extension I can't find any mention of that class, so I'm assuming even though it says that it can create charts, it cannot.

As to the ExcelReport extension I can't quite figure out what it's doing since it uses a compiled .dll to work its magic.

Can you upload the OML where you're using the ExcelReport extension, and i'll try to make it work?

Hi Afonso, 

Thanks for your reply. ExcelReport owner replied my message and provided me the working demo. Thanks for your help.

If anyone happen to see this post for the solution, here is the link --> https://www.outsystems.com/forge/Component_Overview.aspx?ProjectId=3945

Thanks.

Hey Xiaou, after talking to you yesterday I felt like a proper graph export to excel was a good idea and I added that to the Excel Package extension, for now it's still being worked on but you can already try it out to make your graphs.

I attached the extension, if you try it out and need help, let me know.

Afonso Aguas wrote:

Hey Xiaou, after talking to you yesterday I felt like a proper graph export to excel was a good idea and I added that to the Excel Package extension, for now it's still being worked on but you can already try it out to make your graphs.

I attached the extension, if you try it out and need help, let me know.

Thanks Afonso, I will try it out later. :)

Hi Afonso Aguas,

Can you please let me know, how to use it?

I have downloaded it and connected it to the outsystems environment.

I need further steps to proceed and export the graph to excel.

Thanks and Regards

Siddhant

Hi Siddhant,

please refer to this post to see a working demo of the graph feature, if after seeing this you still don't understand how it works, feel free to post your issues here so I can help you.

Regards