How to connect to an Informix DB?

How to connect to an Informix DB?

Hi, I'm trying to make a connection to an Informix database. I've been researching and I can't find anything. Is there any way to connect to one?
I've been told there are the ODBC/JDBC connectors. Though, they are external to Outsystems.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Hi Fábio,

What kind of "research" did you do? It's part of the official documentation, here.

Hi Fábio.

Normally, how do you get a connection to Informix database?

There are some ways to get a connection with another database. For ODBC/JDBC you can create an extension in C# and then you will use it on Outsystems. for this you have to use the integration studio and Visual Studio.

Paulo,

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I linked to the official documentation on connecting to an external database, you seem to imply you need C#??? Afaik, that's never the case, unless the database doesn't have an ODBC/JDBC connector, but surely Informix isn't that exotic?

EDIT: Apologies for my ignorance :)

Man, these are DBs accepted by Outsystems, I don't know anything about Informix database, so I asked him how he usually connects, because sometimes that's necessary.

Where is ODBC/JDBC in list?

https://success.outsystems.com/Evaluation/Integration/02_Use_OutSystems_with_existing_databases

Hi, If I may...

In order to connect to an EXTERNAL database that is not in the list, you have two options.

1. Create a CONNECTOR. This requires the Database Integration API. You can see a discussioon for one made for PostgreSQL: https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/14992/the-postgresql-database-connector-by-ardoric/

2. You can effectively create an extension and do the connection through C#

What are the differences? In the first case, you will be able to import the tables, like the standard database connections, in the second, you will not be able to do this, and will have to create all the interface to send and retrieve data. It will not be transparent.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi, If I may...

In order to connect to an EXTERNAL database that is not in the list, you have two options.

1. Create a CONNECTOR. This requires the Database Integration API. You can see a discussioon for one made for PostgreSQL: https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/14992/the-postgresql-database-connector-by-ardoric/

What are the differences? In the first case, you will be able to import the tables, like the standard database connections, in the second, you will not be able to do this, and will have to create all the interface to send and retrieve data. It will not be transparent.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thank you Eduardo, anyway you will need a extension and programming... :D

Hi, guys.
First of all, thanks for the help.
I should have mentioned that I'm pretty new to Outsystems and it's the first time I've heard about Informix.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Fábio,

What kind of "research" did you do? It's part of the official documentation, here.

Hey, Kilian. I should tell you that I'd already seen that page. I could be wrong but I just assume it only works with the ones on the list.

PAULO RICARDO FAGUNDES JUNIOR wrote:

Hi Fábio.

Normally, how do you get a connection to Informix database?

There are some ways to get a connection with another database. For ODBC/JDBC you can create an extension in C# and then you will use it on Outsystems. for this you have to use the integration studio and Visual Studio.

Hey, Paulo.
Well, normally I don't. As I mentioned about, I've only just now heard about Informix, so I'm still exploring.
And btw, Informix does have OBDC/JDBC connectors. Just not in the Outsystems platform: https://www.progress.com/jdbc/ibm-informix
I thought maybe there was some way to import those or something. Maybe I'm asking something silly. I'm still pretty new to all of this.

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi, If I may...

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hey, Eduardo.
Thanks for the input. I'll read the post right after.As I've mentioned above, Informix already has OBDC/JDBC connectors (link above). Just not in the Outsystems platform. Is there any way to import/use it in some way?

Fábio Albuquerque wrote:

Thanks for the input. I'll read the post right after.As I've mentioned above, Informix already has OBDC/JDBC connectors (link above). Just not in the Outsystems platform. Is there any way to import/use it in some way?

Hi Fábio.

The only way to import the entities like you do in the supported databases is to create a Connector. You probably will use the driver, but there is no way to do this in a simple "click". 

Cheers.

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Fábio Albuquerque wrote:

Hi Fábio.

The only way to import the entities like you do in the supported databases is to create a Connector. You probably will use the driver, but there is no way to do this in a simple "click". 

Cheers.

Hm... When you say create a connector, what are we talking about? I presume it's not just some REST API with the database connections. Is it?

Could you give me some pointers to look into how to create one? I'd apreciate it.

Fábio,

Eduardo already did. He linked to a forum post with some valuable information. Please refer to that one first.

Fábio, of course the best way is first option as Eduardo said, because you will keep Outsystems patterns and it will be more centralized in the core of Outsystems, on the other hand, it's harder I guess.

The second option is easier than the first, however you wouldn't have the all Outsystems facilities like Entities, Structs, scaffold etc... All queries must be created manually. But, I like this option too.

You will need to see what is better for you. If you will create screens lot based on Informix I recommend first option.

That's true, Paulo.
A connector allows you to benefit from the Outsystems facilities. However, from what I've seen on the post that Eduardo linked me to it's hard to build a connector, provided you have to have a big understanding of the database in question. As it's the first time I've come across Informix I have zero understanding. So it would required some time to get some understaning plus some more time to build the connector.
I guess it will all depend on what the time constraint. Let's see what my manager says about that.

It'll either be this or the second option. Creating a REST API, for dealing with the database, and also an extension to request the data to it. It will not benefit from the Outsystems facilities, though.

Fábio Albuquerque wrote:

if you have anything else about it you can ask me, it's a pleasure to help, if not, please mark the case like solved and good luck. 

best regards

Paulo Ricardo

That's true, Paulo.
A connector allows you to benefit from the Outsystems facilities. However, from what I've seen on the post that Eduardo linked me to it's hard to build a connector, provided you have to have a big understanding of the database in question. As it's the first time I've come across Informix I have zero understanding. So it would required some time to get some understaning plus some more time to build the connector.
I guess it will all depend on what the time constraint. Let's see what my manager says about that.

It'll either be this or the second option. Creating a REST API, for dealing with the database, and also an extension to request the data to it. It will not benefit from the Outsystems facilities, though.