On changing locale showing "?????" questions marks instead of proper name

On changing locale showing "?????" questions marks instead of proper name

I have a static entity, where I am keeping a translated caption. So, on changing the locale the outsystem should show the translated caption and not the default one. But instead we are getting "?" marks

The issue is debugger shows correct translation in the watcher when locale is EN-US but shows "?" when locale is Hi-IN.

Below are the details:

1. Locale En-US

Below is the debugger watcher showing correct locale translation when locale is En-US

This is the front end En-US translation default caption.

2. Locale - Hi-IN

This is what debugger shows when locale has been changed to Hi-IN. 

and this is the corresponding front end view for locale Hi-In

Solution

Hi arj,

Following up on our short exchange here, I investigated a bit, and the problem doesn't seem to be Service Studio, but the database. If your database is not configured to handle Unicode, you will get the problems you describe. If you have a cloud offering from OutSystems, I'd contact OutSystems Support and ask them whether they can provide a Unicode-safe database.

That said, and unrelated directly to this problem, it seems you have in your menu item Entity both a "Caption" and a "HindiTranslatedCaption". I wouldn't do this. Instead, you can translate texts from Static Entities just like you can texts on the Screen and in Expressions. Doing this, you don't need to select the right attribute in an Expression. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve your problem, as these translation are also stored in the database. But once you got your database in Unicode, this is a far better solution.

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi arj,

Following up on our short exchange here, I investigated a bit, and the problem doesn't seem to be Service Studio, but the database. If your database is not configured to handle Unicode, you will get the problems you describe. If you have a cloud offering from OutSystems, I'd contact OutSystems Support and ask them whether they can provide a Unicode-safe database.

That said, and unrelated directly to this problem, it seems you have in your menu item Entity both a "Caption" and a "HindiTranslatedCaption". I wouldn't do this. Instead, you can translate texts from Static Entities just like you can texts on the Screen and in Expressions. Doing this, you don't need to select the right attribute in an Expression. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve your problem, as these translation are also stored in the database. But once you got your database in Unicode, this is a far better solution.

Hi Kilian,

I tried to do the translation using Translations windows on Interface and it worked. But, regrading the original problem, as you said it is related with the database, and I am using Outsystems personal environment. 

I think the Personal Environments can't be requested to be changed to Unicode, but you could try. I'll also get OS's attention to this problem.

Thanks Kilian, will reach to OS. Though, my problem got solved.

arj,

Your problem got solved? How?

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

arj,

Your problem got solved? How?

I used the translation windows of the interface rather than the static entity attribute.

Ok, yeah, that works fine. In that case the translations are stored in the OML, not in the database.

Yes, it works well in that case. So, for dynamic translations, that won't work unless database supports Unicode chars at Personal Environment.