Let end user move widgets

Let end user move widgets

Hi guys!

I tried to get some help from the drag and drop component forum but they seem to be on vacation.

I am asking for some advice really, I have an application where the end user creates charts from an API, and I want said user to be able to place that chart on any place in the window with drag and drop.

I am stuck at creating widgets where the chart can be dropped. The user can create a chart, drag it, but not drop it. At the moment I am displaying the graph with a Record List since I am saving the graphs created into a entity, but I have a problem with creating more Record Lists since I can not get the empty record to recognize the hover/drop. I was thinking if there are better ways to do this. Has anyone implemented anything similar, all thoughts about it helps!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jack,

Why would you want users to be able to do that? Note that that is not how web or HTML works, you can't just place anything at any position. What if the user reloads the page, or visits it later? Do they expect the same position of those elements?

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Jack,

Why would you want users to be able to do that? Note that that is not how web or HTML works, you can't just place anything at any position. What if the user reloads the page, or visits it later? Do they expect the same position of those elements?

Thanks for replying so soon Kilian!

Maybe the application I am creating is not fit for Outsystems development. It is a web application for monitoring a system and I want the end user to be able to create their own views and save them for later use. This is because the measurements and dimensions coming for monitoring the system is very broad and the end user can have many different reasons to monitor. 

I understand that I need to have preset divs where the chart can be placed, I'm just looking for a way to model that as smart as possible in the service studio.

Hi Jack,

I understand your use case, but creating dynamic dashboards is indeed not the strongest side of OutSystems. I could see some hacking that would in the end allow you to do such a thing, but it wouldn't be neat.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Jack,

I understand your use case, but creating dynamic dashboards is indeed not the strongest side of OutSystems. I could see some hacking that would in the end allow you to do such a thing, but it wouldn't be neat.

Oh okay, well my first thought was that it would probably be more useful to let the consumers of this application make their own views in Outsystems directly, since it's pretty much the same thing. :) 

Thanks for your time Kilian!

Regards

You're most welcome!