Is javascript worth it? -- a quick survey

Is javascript worth it? -- a quick survey

If you've used javascript of your own creation (or not!), you probably noticed there is a price to pay.

I'm personally estimating that using javascript creates a 20% increase in development and maintenance effort. This is the price to pay for a richer web experience.

Do you regularly use javascript in your apps?
Do you agree with such overhead estimate?
Do you feel that client-side scripting is important?
What could make your life easier, in this area?

Thanks
Hi Gonçalo,

The increasing demand of richer user experience, and faster response application response to user actions (client side, instead of server side), has made javascript a mandatory component for any project.

I think 20% is the minimum overhead for using javascript, but it can grow, depending of the application and javascript code complexity. As any of you, i use javascript regularly, thou I try to reduce it to the minimum, without damaging the user experience or the application complexity. I also try to use javascript from other applications, so the same thing doesn't get done in an endless number of ways.

From the above mentioned, its obvious that client side scripting is and will be increasingly important, and there is a lot to be done.
Some ideas are:
- Build a Solutions Delivery library to be used and fed by everyone
- Build Samples of the most commons situations where javascript is used

There is also a lot to be done in terms of our platform, namely:
- Hide some of the common javascript behind pre-built widgets or properties of the widgets
- A javascript editor, with objects, properties and functions available, just like the expression editor
(I can dream, can't I?)
Regards
João
Hi,

I find the use of Javascript very important since it is the way to create rich and highly interactive web applications without making pages too heavy and plugin dependent (using Java applets, flash animations or ActiveX).

Having richer and more complex javascript code doesn't necessarily translate into having a big overhead in development and maintenance effort. Since javascript is an extremely dynamic language, almost anything can be parameterized, given the base code is general enough, and therefore a higher maintenance price won't appear there, unless it's about solving problems related to browser specific quirks.