QR code

Is it possible to encode a QR code such that only a user with a specific password or code can decode it?

Hi Joel,

I'm not sure what you mean. A QR code is just a graphical, binary, representation of normal text. There's no way to "secure" a QR code or the like. The best you can do is create a QR code of a URL, and have a login at that URL.

Hi Joel,

You also can encrypt your text before transform it into the QR code. Everyone will be able to obtain the text but not everyone will be able to decrypt it.

Regards,

Marcelo

Solution

Hi Joel,

There are services that do that. Just search for "password protected qr codes" or something like that.

Or just create a qr code whose url is a page that asks for a password before being redirected to the actual page that you want.

The "actual page that you want" is sent on the url of the qr code as an input parameter and it could just be something encrypted by you, or a token that is stored in the database along with the url of the page that you want to redirect the user.

Cheers,

José

Solution

José Costa wrote:

Hi Joel,

There are services that do that. Just search for "password protected qr codes" or something like that.

Or just create a qr code whose url is a page that asks for a password before being redirected to the actual page that you want.

The "actual page that you want" is sent on the url of the qr code as an input parameter and it could just be something encrypted by you, or a token that is stored in the database along with the url of the page that you want to redirect the user.

Cheers,

José

I agree with José! 

Joel, I would like to call for your attention (I already had this problem): 

If you have a complex link, you will a generate a complex qr code... And in some mobiles, the camera have a poor resolution, and they are cant read a qr code.. I recommend you to simplify the link with goo.gl for example.

Paulo,

Unless your QR code has pixels that are smaller than half a millimeter, any modern-era camera should have a resolution that's appropriate ;).

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Paulo,

Unless your QR code has pixels that are smaller than half a millimeter, any modern-era camera should have a resolution that's appropriate ;).

Yes, But neither all smartphones are moderns and can read a complex qr code, It was the idea that I tried to explain.. I will not buy a new phone if I cannot read a qrcode, I will stop to use the app (I already had this problem) :) 

Thanks, yall have been very helpful.