Blank web app module issues

Blank web app module issues

  

Hi Everyone,
I am very new to OutSystems and I would like to test creating a simple web app from a Blank module. However, I am running into issues as soon as I start.
Once I click "Create Module" and open Studio, I publish right away and check my webpage... not surprised, I see something like, "No entry point defined". So I add an entry point to a new web-screen. Now when I publish and reload the browser I get an error "There was an error processing your request. Please try again later..."
Studio says "The module is valid"... Any ideas of what I could be missing?

Thanks!

You should create a web app from a responsive module, blank modules are typically for non ui related code such as the database or a set of logic actions.

Keith Matthews wrote:

You should create a web app from a responsive module, blank modules are typically for non ui related code such as the database or a set of logic actions.

Ok thanks, that helps. However, the responsive module has quite a bit of extras that I do not need or want bloating my solution. Is there a way to start a web app from scratch? I tried using the responsive module and just stripping out everything but it didn't work, it had multiple layouts and even with the UI cleared out I still saw odd elements on my web page. Any suggestions?


Solution

You could try using the Vanilla Theme .. that's about as simple as it gets.

Solution

Keith Matthews wrote:

You could try using the Vanilla Theme .. that's about as simple as it gets.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Keith Matthews wrote:

You could try using the Vanilla Theme .. that's about as simple as it gets.


How are all these templates created if you can't start from a blank slate? Like, what if I wanted to create a minimal template like the Vanilla template?

Hello Bryan,

I would recommend you to not take this path if you're just starting in OutSystems, as us the case.

You can choose the Web Application template, if you don't want to youse Silk Ui framework.

A page does not have to use a layout. You can just remove it, or create your own and replace it.

You can also define the default layout in the application theme.

But for starters, I recommend just use what is giving by default. It will not impact your application performance.

Did you finish the online training?

I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, doing the training at https://www.outsystems.com/learn/ its free and very good. I am sure it tells you how to create a template, basic instructions are here https://www.outsystems.com/help/servicestudio/9.0/default.htm#Reusing_eSpaces/Create_Your_Own_Application_Template.htm but part of the attraction of the low code OutSystems is that the silk ui templates are already provided as well as a host of function libraries.

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Bryan,

I would recommend you to not take this path if you're just starting in OutSystems, as us the case.

You can choose the Web Application template, if you don't want to youse Silk Ui framework.

A page does not have to use a layout. You can just remove it, or create your own and replace it.

You can also define the default layout in the application theme.

But for starters, I recommend just use what is giving by default. It will not impact your application performance.

Did you finish the online training?

I have only completed a small portion of the training. But thanks for your explanation, I will just delete the layout that comes with the Vanilla Theme for now.
However, if my company does end up using this software, we will want to create templates with our Base styles and design, Is that possible? Mainly, I will not be able to use a template/theme provided on Forge when in a real world dev environment. 


Hi Bryan,


The training is very important. I recommend finishing it, as this will help you avoid some mistakes

Regarding the templates, yes, it is possible. There are some links that tell you how to do so (it is easy, in fact). One is the one Keith pointed you.

Just beware when deleting the layout of the Vanilla theme, as this is a SilkUI theme and the SilkUI patterns (Web Patterns) need JavaScript that are present in the SilkUI layouts to work.

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Design_UI/Look_and_Feel/Themes

Cheers.

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi Bryan,


The training is very important. I recommend finishing it, as this will help you avoid some mistakes

Regarding the templates, yes, it is possible. There are some links that tell you how to do so (it is easy, in fact). One is the one Keith pointed you.

Just beware when deleting the layout of the Vanilla theme, as this is a SilkUI theme and the SilkUI patterns (Web Patterns) need JavaScript that are present in the SilkUI layouts to work.

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Design_UI/Look_and_Feel/Themes

Cheers.

Thank you all so much for your quick guidance and expertise! I will continue on with training.