Text recognition

Hi I would like my mobile application to have a functionality where the application can use my camera to scan text and convert it into text.

So for example the camera would be able to scan a serial number and output the serial number as a string within the application.

Which modules should I be using for this? I explored a bit in the forge and found Azure Cognitive Services but I do not know how to use it properly. If anybody has experience with creating an application like this please help out. Thank you!

Hi Sa fe,

You can use the "Google cloud vision ocr" component which is there in the forge. Just pass the image to this component from which you want to retrieve the text. Then it returns the text which is recognized in the image.Hope this wil help you.

Cheers,

Koushik

Koushik Prathi wrote:

Hi Sa fe,

You can use the "Google cloud vision ocr" component which is there in the forge. Just pass the image to this component from which you want to retrieve the text. Then it returns the text which is recognized in the image.Hope this wil help you.

Cheers,

Koushik

Hello,

I took a look at the Google Cloud Vision OCR, it seems that it is a web module. Does this work with mobile applications?

Sa fe wrote:

Koushik Prathi wrote:

Hi Sa fe,

Cheers,

Koushik

Hello,

I took a look at the Google Cloud Vision OCR, it seems that it is a web module. Does this work with mobile applications?

Yes it will work

Koushik Prathi wrote:

Sa fe wrote:

Koushik Prathi wrote:

Hi Sa fe,

Cheers,

Koushik

Hello,

Yes it will work

I need a Google API key for this to work, how do I acquire one?

go to google console there you can create the api key 

hi. is there any other way to extract text out of images? as that plugin are unable to retrieve certain value such as image of the water reading meter (Images as show below). Or is there a way to read using the same plugin but i have to add in certain codes or something to make it work?

Possible Issue of it unable to read: the values are like a flipping digit, therefore it has issue reading the value from the image.

Thanks!

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=water+reading+meter&rlz=1C1GGRV_enSG788SG788&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMgOSH97bdAhWmmIsKHX3uAgsQ_AUICigB#imgrc=1-9-EyYNU8ndOM:

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=water+reading+meter&rlz=1C1GGRV_enSG788SG788&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMgOSH97bdAhWmmIsKHX3uAgsQ_AUICigB#imgrc=mogEEuXN_kGEFM: