How to warn users the timer has ended

How to warn users the timer has ended

Hi, i'm using a timer to create a large dataset of information, and i would like to automatically warn the user about the end of the timer. Is it possible to do it automatically?

i've looked at Cyclic_Job and Meta_Cyclic_Job tables, but the best i could do with them was to check on each screen preparation if the timer was still running. 

Best Regards,

Fábio Santos

Hi Fábio,

Send an email at the end of the timer wouldn't be a option for you?

Regards,

Marcelo

Hi Fabio,

If you want to notify the users within the application they are using that the timer has finished, you will have to regularly poll that information from the server... if your users spend a long time in a single screen (so Preparations aren't executed that often) you may want to consider using Javascript and its setTimeout() to regularly click some hidden button on your screen that checks if the timer as finished (either by reading the timers system entities or your own application's entities)

You can also maybe consider using BPT for this?... having a process that waits for a change to an entity, that would make the process advance to the next task, that would then show on the users' taskboxes. 

Hi Fábio,

Depends on what type of warning you intend to use.

There are multiple approaches that depend on the specific uses case:

• How many users do you want to target?
  • Is it a simple notification or the user must acknowledge that he read the notification?
  • Will the user start another task based on that information?

Marcelo's suggestion may be an effective solution for a simple warning, it the timer does not run many times, flooding the user's inbox.

Cheers,

Tiago.

Marcelo Ferreira wrote:

Hi Fábio,

Send an email at the end of the timer wouldn't be a option for you?

Regards,

Marcelo

I would prefer to avoid this solution because a user may import several times a day leading to inbox spam.

Tiago Gafeira wrote:

Hi Fábio,

Depends on what type of warning you intend to use.

There are multiple approaches that depend on the specific uses case:

• How many users do you want to target?
  • Is it a simple notification or the user must acknowledge that he read the notification?
  • Will the user start another task based on that information?

Marcelo's suggestion may be an effective solution for a simple warning, it the timer does not run many times, flooding the user's inbox.

Cheers,

Tiago.

I only want to target the user that started the import process.

A simple notificatio is enough.

The user may start another task like generating reports based on the imported information but that's all up to the user, so a simple notification is enough.

Jorge Martins wrote:

Hi Fabio,

If you want to notify the users within the application they are using that the timer has finished, you will have to regularly poll that information from the server... if your users spend a long time in a single screen (so Preparations aren't executed that often) you may want to consider using Javascript and its setTimeout() to regularly click some hidden button on your screen that checks if the timer as finished (either by reading the timers system entities or your own application's entities)

You can also maybe consider using BPT for this?... having a process that waits for a change to an entity, that would make the process advance to the next task, that would then show on the users' taskboxes. 

This approach might actually be what i'm looking for.

Thank you for all your answers i will implement them and see what works best for my case.

Best Regards,

Fábio Santos