Outsystems 7.0 vs Outsystems current version

Outsystems 7.0 vs Outsystems current version

Good Morning,

I am looking for documentation that will help me to make a comparison of Outsystems v7.0 vs newer versions. I would like to know what are the main problems that the user / programmer will encounter using an old version.

Cumpz,

Henrique Leite

Hi Henrique,

Note that version 7 is no longer supported (and hasn't been supported for a long time), and given the recent fixes of some severe security vulnerabilities, I would argue very strongly against using such an old version!

Solution

Hi Henrique,

I'm not sure there's such a document... and I don't think I have had real-life experience with Agile Platform 7 installations. That being said, IIRC OutSystems 9.1 has already been discontinued, so that means any security issues (and there have been a couple recently) and bugs are no longer being actively fixed for that version or previous versions (including 7).

Also, things like Aggregates that replaced Simple Queries, SAP integration directly from Service Studio, Mobile applications, enhanced UI patterns (like Silk UI) are not available in OutSystems 7. I'm not sure about SOAP integrations, but I'm pretty sure REST integrations are also post 7. You also have a different licensing model that favours better practices.

Converting from 7 to current versions should be mostly automatic and I'd say, the biggest changes to the platform itself would be Aggregates instead of Simple Queries, Forms superseding Show Record/Edit Record, differences in the password encryption algorithm (enforced around 9.0.1 if I'm not mistaken, and a no-fuss upgrade-on-first-login is in place I believe), and a push for Mobile native apps instead of responsive apps. But you still need to make sure that your developers address any breaking changes that may have happened in recent versions (and I'm sure there have been several). If the issue is whether to upgrade or not, the longer you wait to upgrade the harder the task tends to be.

Solution