Running a feedback_message before a download

Running a feedback_message before a download

  

Hello

I am trying to implement an action which runs a feedback message, before exporting an excel file.

It seems that if the action ends with a download, the feedback message will not show.

Is there away around this problem? I've considered using a widget click in the action, but I'm not sure this approach will work.

Thanks

I cant find a way to do this :/

What is your intention in Feedback_messaging before the download? Is using a confirmation message a possible solution? Or creating a message in your screen, displayed controlled by a variable?

The feedback message seemed the best way I could think of, as the action running is an excel import, which and the download is an error log. The message was meant to be informing the user of the error, and the position of the error in the file, and thus a confirmation message will be pretty ineffective.

It's an issue I have noticed in the past too.. trying to think of a way around it.

Joseph Palmer wrote:

Hello

I am trying to implement an action which runs a feedback message, before exporting an excel file.

It seems that if the action ends with a download, the feedback message will not show.

Is there away around this problem? I've considered using a widget click in the action, but I'm not sure this approach will work.

Thanks

Hi Joseph,

Let go step by step - 

1) I am trying to implement an action which runs a feedback message, before exporting an excel file. 

Answer - Outsystems already have builtin functionality for feedback message.

2) It seems that if the action ends with a download, the feedback message will not show.

Tell me one thing if download is complete then you don't want to show feedback message and if yes then can you tell me at what time you want to show then.

3) I've considered using a widget click in the action, but I'm not sure this approach will work.

Answer - We can do multiple approach to solve the problem by widget click but can you explain more because we need to go with best practice of OS, if I can suggest something to you.


Thanks,

Rajat Agrawal


Rajat Agrawal wrote:

Joseph Palmer wrote:

Hello

I am trying to implement an action which runs a feedback message, before exporting an excel file.

It seems that if the action ends with a download, the feedback message will not show.

Is there away around this problem? I've considered using a widget click in the action, but I'm not sure this approach will work.

Thanks

Hi Joseph,

Let go step by step - 

1) I am trying to implement an action which runs a feedback message, before exporting an excel file. 

Answer - Outsystems already have builtin functionality for feedback message.

2) It seems that if the action ends with a download, the feedback message will not show.

Tell me one thing if download is complete then you don't want to show feedback message and if yes then can you tell me at what time you want to show then.

3) I've considered using a widget click in the action, but I'm not sure this approach will work.

Answer - We can do multiple approach to solve the problem by widget click but can you explain more because we need to go with best practice of OS, if I can suggest something to you.


Thanks,

Rajat Agrawal


Hi Rajat.

Responding to your points:

- The above action is what I am already using. I then set up my workbook and then use the download component to export the excel file.

- What I want to achieve is the feedback message showing, and then the download starting. At the moment, the feedback is not appearing despite appearing fine in the action/ debugger.


Thanks

Joe


Ho Joe,

Its means feedback message is working in action but it not appearing when you are using in export to excel action.

Can you share the oml?


Thanks,

Rajat Agrawal


Rajat Agrawal wrote:

Ho Joe,

Its means feedback message is working in action but it not appearing when you are using in export to excel action.

Can you share the oml?


Thanks,

Rajat Agrawal


More information on this behavior, I got while testing:

The download prevents the Feedback_Message from being displayed in the screen.. Even if it's called first (different transactions). It'll only be displayed after the next submit



José/Joseph

You mentioned the widget click approach. Have you tried this? This approach will work.

1. Implement the feedback message and widget click. Widget click "clicks" a button Named Download.

2. Download button fires screen action Download when clicked and serves the file to the client:

Hope this helps.

Hanno

I have quickly built a sample OML for you.

Hanno wrote:

José/Joseph

You mentioned the widget click approach. Have you tried this? This approach will work.

1. Implement the feedback message and widget click. Widget click "clicks" a button Named Download.

2. Download button fires screen action Download when clicked and serves the file to the client:

Hope this helps.

Hanno

Thank you for your suggestion and explanation :) 

* EDITED * I've got this working! 

I was using property visible to make button invisible! Should instead enclose in container and use display property!
Thank you very much for your kind explanation!


Great! Glad you got it working!

Yes, the container with display property works well. Note, that you can also set the style property of the button to "display:none" as in the sample OML

Hanno wrote:

José/Joseph

You mentioned the widget click approach. Have you tried this? This approach will work.

1. Implement the feedback message and widget click. Widget click "clicks" a button Named Download.

2. Download button fires screen action Download when clicked and serves the file to the client:

Hope this helps.

Hanno

Thanks Hanno

I think the this is the right way to approach it (and was what I was thinking as well..)!

Annoying as the download data is created in the action, so I'm going to have to create a new entity to use as a temporary table I think, and then populate the download based on that.



Hanno wrote:

Great! Glad you got it working!

Yes, the container with display property works well. Note, that you can also set the style property of the button to "display:none" as in the sample OML

I got this method to do both the feedback message and then kick off the download, and it is working, however I am having an issue with the download, instead of returning the correct row in the excel i get "System.Collections.BitArray"

Have you come across this before?


Joseph Palmer wrote:

Hanno wrote:

Great! Glad you got it working!

Yes, the container with display property works well. Note, that you can also set the style property of the button to "display:none" as in the sample OML

I got this method to do both the feedback message and then kick off the download, and it is working, however I am having an issue with the download, instead of returning the correct row in the excel i get "System.Collections.BitArray"

Have you come across this before?


It could just be your data type. Are you using a structure of any kind or just a table?

Can you perhaps share some of the logic to make it a bit easier to figure out the issue? You can send it to me in a private message also if you want.