Precautions to take before connectting to External DB

Precautions to take before connectting to External DB

Hi all,

I have an application which is fully developed and currently connected to Outsystems cloud DB which contains data as well.

I want to connect to an external database like mysql, sql server, etc. I have extracted all the tables from the Outsystems cloud and put those into required table.

What are the precautions that I should take before deleting the Outsystems cloud DB connection and creating a new connection?
Some of my concerns are below:

• Do the table names need to be exactly same as already present in Outsystems cloud.?
  • Do the column names need to be same?
  • Does the number of columns in the tables need to be same?
  • If I delete some of the columns from the external database which were not required by the UI, will that work good or affect my application?

If there are more pointers to consider, please let me know.

Aditya Chopra wrote:

Hi all,

I have an application which is fully developed and currently connected to Outsystems cloud DB which contains data as well.

I want to connect to an external database like mysql, sql server, etc. I have extracted all the tables from the Outsystems cloud and put those into required table.

What are the precautions that I should take before deleting the Outsystems cloud DB connection and creating a new connection?

• Do the table names need to be exactly same as already present in Outsystems cloud.?
  • If I delete some of the columns from the external database which were not required by the UI, will that work good or affect my application?

Hi Aditya,

When we migrated our application from platform 8 to platform 10, there were few things that we need to keep in mind before doing it.:

1. Tables name should be same: this won't affect in case of aggregate but if you are using advance query then that's the place where it would impact.

2. There is high chance that collation property might differ when you move your DB. It should same across all DBs and tables. Because outsystems entities uses different collation.

3. Make sure you have taken full backup of your MetaData DB.

4. If you are executing any Stored Procedure, make sure appropriate permissions has been given to execute it.

Best,

AG

Hello There,

In addition to above points, there is a chance that you may loose foreign key reference but you can refer it in integration studio and outsystems may give predefined name in prefix of your physical entity/table name.

Best,

AG

Aditya Gaur wrote:

Aditya Chopra wrote:

Hi all,

Hi Aditya,

When we migrated our application from platform 8 to platform 10, there were few things that we need to keep in mind before doing it.:

1. Tables name should be same: this won't affect in case of aggregate but if you are using advance query then that's the place where it would impact.

2. There is high chance that collation property might differ when you move your DB. It should same across all DBs and tables. Because outsystems entities uses different collation.

4. If you are executing any Stored Procedure, make sure appropriate permissions has been given to execute it.

Best,

AG

Hi Aditya,

Thanks for the reply. My concern is to remove the Outsystems cloud database and use an external database. 

The points which you have mentioned as I see from the reply apply when we are upgrading from one platform to another. 

Shall we consider the points you mentioned for both the cases?

Aditya Chopra wrote:

Aditya Gaur wrote:

Aditya Chopra wrote:

Hi all,

Hi Aditya,

Best,

AG

Hi Aditya,

Thanks for the reply. My concern is to remove the Outsystems cloud database and use an external database. 

The points which you have mentioned as I see from the reply apply when we are upgrading from one platform to another. 

Hi Aditya,

I would recommend to have these points handy.

Though i have a question here, how you are planning to migrate all your outsystems cloud DBs to external DB.

are you going to use any particular tool or manually, just being curious

Best,

AG

Aditya Gaur wrote:

Aditya Chopra wrote:

Aditya Gaur wrote:

Aditya Chopra wrote:

Hi all,

Hi Aditya,

Best,

AG

Hi Aditya,

Hi Aditya,

I would recommend to have these points handy.

Though i have a question here, how you are planning to migrate all your outsystems cloud DBs to external DB.

are you going to use any particular tool or manually, just being curious

Best,

AG

Hi,

Are you really sure that these points will be applicable in my case also because as far as I have checked the tables names need not be same as the name displayed to us is the logical name but the actual name of the table may be different in the database.

You can simply change the name in the integration studio and then use it as a dependency.

For the migration of data, you can raise support ticket they'll provide you with the details of the Cloud server and you just need to run some queries to extract all the data and move into new DB.