[Bluetooth Serial Plugin] Impact of Android 8.0 (API level 26)

[Bluetooth Serial Plugin] Impact of Android 8.0 (API level 26)

Forge Component
(7)
Published on 29 Oct by João Barata
7 votes
Published on 29 Oct by João Barata

Hi,

So my company has built native apps that use Bluetooth connections in background processes. With the new API level 26 this appears to be no longer allowed. Also iOS has comparable limitations now.

My question is whether or not this forge component is fit to work with for the latest and greatest API level and iOS limitations. If so, we may decide to rebuild the native apps with OutSystems which would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Toine.

Toine Tuerlings wrote:

Hi,

So my company has built native apps that use Bluetooth connections in background processes. With the new API level 26 this appears to be no longer allowed. Also iOS has comparable limitations now.

My question is whether or not this forge component is fit to work with for the latest and greatest API level and iOS limitations. If so, we may decide to rebuild the native apps with OutSystems which would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Toine.

Hello Toine,

Apologies for the late reply. I had to grab an Android phone with Android 8.0+ to confirm the behavior. On my test, I was able to connect from a OnePlus 5 (Android 8.1) to a Raspberry Pi creating a serial connection. I used the Bluetooth Sample Serial application to test it and everything worked as expected.

I recommend you to create a simple application testing the Bluetooth communication with your device in order to confirm if this component supports it.

Regards,