convert a 10 silk UI App to 11

Has anyone seen or published a step by guide on how to convert an application built in 10 using say a silk UI layout such as Dublin into the correct themes etc to leverage the 11 UI templates?  

I've not seen such a guide. Outsystems is actively recommending you not do do such an upgrade unless you have a very good/specific reason to do so. Also, keep in mind that not all widgets from silkUI are already present in Outsystems UI (so you may still need to reference silkUI).

Paul Davies wrote:

Has anyone seen or published a step by guide on how to convert an application built in 10 using say a silk UI layout such as Dublin into the correct themes etc to leverage the 11 UI templates?  

Hi, 

I know that Silk Ui will be suffering updates and/or bug fixing until end of the year.

In Q1 2019, Outsystems will focus their efforts to the new Outsystems UI. 

So, my opinion to you is to not upgrade Silk UI 10 to Outsystems 11, because the components are differents and in some cases, the input parameters are not the same.

Regards,

Nelson Pinto

Tim Timperman wrote:

I've not seen such a guide. Outsystems is actively recommending you not do do such an upgrade unless you have a very good/specific reason to do so. Also, keep in mind that not all widgets from silkUI are already present in Outsystems UI (so you may still need to reference silkUI).

Who at OutSystems has said that? Where can I see that? Why have they actually produced such a guide if that is the case?

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Upgrading/Migrating_UI_of_the_Silk_Web_applications_to_OutSystems_UI_Framework

J.Ja

On ODC, one of the presenters said to not go and upgrade all existing applications to Outsystems UI. While not impossible, it would be a manual task that would take a substantial amount of time. And in most cases there would be no real reason to do it, since SilkUI will remain supported for now.

Out of that guide: "You should estimate the time and effort for the migration to the new UI framework. Replacing the actual patterns is not complicated, but some replacements require changes of the related placeholders, parameters or logic. This means the migration can become a challenging task when dealing with complex pattern uses. A top-level migration, with replacing only patterns and correcting errors, may take less time than a low-level migration."

I don't know whether they included the Q&A in the captures of the ODC Tech talks. I'll do a search this evening and point you to the exact talk/presenter/minute when I find it. (in case the session I attended is the one that ended up being captured)

Solution

Hello everyone,

Regarding migration from Silk UI (or any other Framework / Theme) to OutSystems UI Web, I'd like to clarify:

• We do recommend to migrate your apps as soon as you upgrade to OutSystems 11:
    • The entire framework, from the Layout to all UI patterns are compliant with WCAG 2.0 AAA accessibility;
    • A lot of feedback gathered for Silk UI Web was implemented in OutSystems UI Web, like client side responsive, dynamic item for patterns like Tabs, ButtonGroup, etc;.
    • The conventions for CSS changed to match with mobile, ensuring a smaller learning curve and increased productivity;
    • For context, these kind of structural changes were the reason behind the creation of a new Framework and not evolving Silk UI.
  • Regarding the answer at ODC:
    • I'm not 100% sure of the answer that was given, it might have been miscommunication, but the point of the answer was to say that you don't have to upgrade immediately. Silk UI Web is available for OutSystems 11 and it's a supported component, we want to keep it that way so you can decide on the best time to migrate to OutSystems UI and take advantage of the new features, but we recommend to do it as soon as you upgrade to 11.

Let me know if I can help on this topic.

My regards

Solution

Dinis Carvalho wrote:

Hello everyone,

Regarding migration from Silk UI (or any other Framework / Theme) to OutSystems UI Web, I'd like to clarify:

• We do recommend to migrate your apps as soon as you upgrade to OutSystems 11:
    • The entire framework, from the Layout to all UI patterns are compliant with WCAG 2.0 AAA accessibility;
    • A lot of feedback gathered for Silk UI Web was implemented in OutSystems UI Web, like client side responsive, dynamic item for patterns like Tabs, ButtonGroup, etc;.
    • The conventions for CSS changed to match with mobile, ensuring a smaller learning curve and increased productivity;
    • For context, these kind of structural changes were the reason behind the creation of a new Framework and not evolving Silk UI.
  • Regarding the answer at ODC:
    • I'm not 100% sure of the answer that was given, it might have been miscommunication, but the point of the answer was to say that you don't have to upgrade immediately. Silk UI Web is available for OutSystems 11 and it's a supported component, we want to keep it that way so you can decide on the best time to migrate to OutSystems UI and take advantage of the new features, but we recommend to do it as soon as you upgrade to 11.

Let me know if I can help on this topic.

My regards

Dinis,

Thanks for clarifying.  

Is there a guide to doing this eg,

1) add the OS 11 templates to your application through manage dependencies

2) change theme to ...

3) replace ....

n) remove silk dependencies 

Hi Paul,  

The guide shared in previous replies explains the steps to do this migration.

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Upgrading/Migrating_UI_of_the_Silk_Web_applications_to_OutSystems_UI_Framework

We're paying close attention to this topic and your feedback on the guide is welcome so we can improve it.

Also, on the releases of OutSystems UI Web, we'll have 100% match between UI patterns, meaning that all Silk UI patterns can be replaced with the new version for OutSystems UI - except small use cases that will be documented with a solution for them.

Dinis Carvalho wrote:

Hi Paul,  

The guide shared in previous replies explains the steps to do this migration.

We're paying close attention to this topic and your feedback on the guide is welcome so we can improve it.

Also, on the releases of OutSystems UI Web, we'll have 100% match between UI patterns, meaning that all Silk UI patterns can be replaced with the new version for OutSystems UI - except small use cases that will be documented with a solution for them.

Thanks