[Amazon S3 Connector] Suggestions and future updates

Forge Component
(4)
Published on 11 Jan by Guilherme Pereira
4 votes
Published on 11 Jan by Guilherme Pereira

Hello 

I've been testing this connector and I found it useful but there are a few improvements I would suggest:

• instead of throwing exceptions and having to handle them maybe it would be better to have outputs in the actions like a success boollean and error mesage. This way it would be easier to handle errors
  • better descriptions in the fields / example values : since it was my first time using s3 , I had problems with some values like region ( for example thought it was "eu-west-2" instead of "EUWest2")
  • a basic demo would be very helpful, like the one that exists for Azure Blob Storage

Do you have any updates planned in the near future ,specially regarding the output of actions? 

Solution

Hi Bruno,

First of all thank you very much for your feedback. Regarding your suggestions:

• Using exceptions was a design decision and we have our applications orchestrated to handle them. Therefore at the moment I have no plans to change the way it works.
  • I agree with you and on a next version I'll improve the description with a link to the official AWS documentation.
  • A demo in this case requires an AWS account and unfortunately the ones I have are enterprise and cannot be used for such. I'll try to see if it's possible to setup a meaningful demo with a temporary account.

Cheers,

Guilherme

Solution

Another suggestion for this package would be a function to check if a certain file exists and return only true or false, as I searched in the S3 documentation and there are ways to check that.

Hi Miguel,

The goal of this connector is to wrap the AWS SDK v3 for S3 (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/sdkfornet/v3/apidocs/items/S3/TS3Client.html) without additional logic. In my view (and the use case for which this was created) the logic must be done at application level.

The SDK does not contain any method specific for that therefore it won't be created. In any case you should probably be able to accomplish that by using the Object_Get method which returns an error if the object doesn't exist.

Hope this helps,

Guilherme