Hello,

I am starting my first app and have noticed that majority of the tutorials are all based around the SilkUI framework and there is a ton of help videos, resources, and website data about it.

However, it seems that as of Outsystems 11 Outsystems is moving away from Silk and integrating a UI framework directly into the latest software platform.  However, there is way less available tutorial wise except for some very basic videos on creating first apps etc. (that I am seeing).

1. Is it generally preferred if starting something new to use the new Outsystems UI Framework?  I would assume so out of concern for SilkUI not being updated, developed, or maintained in future releases
  2. Are there any capabilities of SilkUI you cannot do in the new framework that I should be aware of?  For example, I love the idea of panels and certain patterns available in SilkUI.  The new framework seems a bit more focused on using their built in template screens.
  3. Are there more specific resources aiming to help someone transition from SilkUI to the new framework?

Hi Ivan,

Outsystems UI is the preferred option for new applications. Notice that Outsystems mobile UI is identical to Silkui mobile. They just renamed it. So all learning material for Mobil is still valid. 

Those who have used Silk UI in depth, know that Outsystems UI is definitely a good improvement.

For exsisting applications using Silkui you should estimate if it it's worthwhile converting them to use Outsystems UI. I personally don't think you should do that.

Outsystems is updating all their training material to be based on Outsystems 11 with Outsystems UI. I have had my eyes already on version 11 training material so it is definitely coming, be patient for a little while.

I would not be surprised if the 10 and 11 learn sites will live co-existing, as many enterprise companies with on premise installations will not always directly to the latest version of the platform.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Ivan,

Outsystems UI is the preferred option for new applications. Notice that Outsystems mobile UI is identical to Silkui mobile. They just renamed it. So all learning material for Mobil is still valid. 

Those who have used Silk UI in depth, know that Outsystems UI is definitely a good improvement.

For exsisting applications using Silkui you should estimate if it it's worthwhile converting them to use Outsystems UI. I personally don't think you should do that.

Outsystems is updating all their training material to be based on Outsystems 11 with Outsystems UI. I have had my eyes already on version 11 training material so it is definitely coming, be patient for a little while.

I would not be surprised if the 10 and 11 learn sites will live co-existing, as many enterprise companies with on premise installations will not always directly to the latest version of the platform.

Regards,

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, makes sense!

is there a way to get notified as new content gets added to the training?  Or just periodically checking it out?

Hi all, one more related question. I want to get started on the ui as mentioned and obviously want consistency on my screens. Is there a way to have screens uniform? I know I can design a screen block with a consistent layout but if I want to change somethibg down the road it would mean manual updates to all screens. I would think there is a way to "inherit" a base design  but cant locate training on it. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much for the help, I know newbie questions but I want to start right. 

Ivan Weiss wrote:

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Ivan,

Regards,

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, makes sense!

is there a way to get notified as new content gets added to the training?  Or just periodically checking it out?

I am pretty sure they will be proudly announce when the training material is upgraded to V11.