Outsystems Architecture: App Server and Database Server

Hi Guys,

Just want to ask if below architecture can be achieve out of curiosity and maybe for better performance? Need your inputs on this.

Basically it has a Single App Server(with Multiple Project) and 2 Database Server.

Project 1(App Server) will connect to DB1

Project 2(App Server) will connect to DB2

Both Project 1 and Project 2 are also connected

Based on what you have said and if I understood correctly, the answer is yes, you can connect 2+ different databases. For that, you have to use/create database connections. Your OutSystems' platform relies on a DB (where OutSystems' tables and metadata is deployed), then if you want to connect more you have to create those database connections by using the integration studio to build them.

So your Projects are deployed on App Server and then each project fetches data from a different DB through a database connection.

Hope this helps,
Fernando Branco

Fernando Branco wrote:

Based on what you have said and if I understood correctly, the answer is yes, you can connect 2+ different databases. For that, you have to use/create database connections. Your OutSystems' platform relies on a DB (where OutSystems' tables and metadata is deployed), then if you want to connect more you have to create those database connections by using the integration studio to build them.

So your Projects are deployed on App Server and then each project fetches data from a different DB through a database connection.

Hope this helps,
Fernando Branco

Fernando,

Not sure if we are on the same page. Here is what I have in mind. Below ESpace resides on a single App Server.

ESpace1 - Contains all tables created using outsystems platform. Will be using Database Server 1

ESpace2 - Also contains all tables created using outsystems platform. Will be using Database Server 2

I know that you can connect to other external database using the integration studio you just have to define the connection string in the Service Center but the above scenario is a bit different.

Gotcha Michael, as far as I know the short answer is no, you cannot do It. If you don't use any kind of database connections you will work over the database that supports your OutSystems' plataform. 

Performance wise, if you create DB instances a.k.a database catalogs(1 catalog for project 1 and another to project 2) may help but still the same physical DB.

I hope that helps.