How to access values from windows registry key

Hi,

In my web app, I need fetch few values from windows registry key. is there any way to do this in Outsystems. Please guide me to do this functionality. Thanks

Hi,

You want to fetch values from the local machine where the browser is running? So far as I know that is not possible. By the way, apps can run in different OS, and the paths, can be different inside similar OS.

But let's take a look for a second opinion.

Regards,

Ricardo

Hi,

My first reaction was also that it isn't possible to access the registry, but that was from a browser's perspective. On the other hand, you can access (part of) the registry remotely, with the correct permissions of course. So it should be possible to have an extension on the front-end server that connects to the machine of the user. I have no experience with this, but you might find an answer here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1566547/how-to-read-remote-registry-keys

Let us know if you manage to get this working! 

Regards,
Lennart

Whats the use case ? how many people are going to use this web App ?

You can do the Reverse if it is a Company's internal webapp. used by very few ppl

You can download a Exe from a webpage which on running can send back your website some details by using webservice.

Browsers by themselves are not allowed to access certain parts of systems due to security issues.

Hi Coder,

Yes. This is an internal webapp with limited users. 

You can do the Reverse if it is a Company's internal webapp. used by very few ppl
  You can download a Exe from a webpage which on running can send back your website some details by using webservice.

Can you please explain more about this? Thanks

This is mostly outside Outsystems Scope - you will be only having web service and Download page from outsystems.

Here are few steps you can do.

1. Create a Simple c# windows Application and try running it Independently as a Exe ( https://www.codeproject.com/Questions/633742/how-to-make-exe-of-Windows-Forms-application)

2. If that works, Write code into it to access Registry data and display in the Window that you have created (https://www.infoworld.com/article/3073167/application-development/how-to-access-the-windows-registry-using-c.html)

3. If that works, Write a code in the Windows to transfer the Registry data to your web-service in Outsystems.( I guess you already know how to consume rest web-service and pass data , if not Just google this )

4. If all the step above works then you can make it as a downloadable file in your Outsystems webpage ( Just google this ).

5. If you want to display the data Directly on the webpage after getting in the webservice without refreshing the page use a websocket.( Google about websockets )

I guess the way suggested by Lennart also works good but I you will need to have permissions and they work on Different network Protocol than Webservice's Http.

Also as Ricardo suggested you can choose to Design this more flexible for Different Version of OS.

Good to have a C# Developer help you do this, if you cant  do it on your own.