Migrating to OS 11. Where did the Development patterns go?

In OutSystems 10 you have 4 development patterns in Silk Web UI. CSS, HTML, jQuery and JS.

In OutSystems 11 however they have vanished. What is the best way to migrate if we use those components?

There is a migration document, however this just shows the mentioned patterns as empty.
https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Upgrading/Migrating_UI_of_the_Silk_Web_applications_to_OutSystems_UI_Framework/03_Migration_reference_tables

This screenshot is from P11, they are exactly on the same place. You are probably looking at the OutsystemsUiWeb package, which is NOT silk and does NOT contain those patterns, but contains a new "EncapsulateJS" block.

Personally, I used this package and avoided using silk on P11.

But I'm curious and maybe someone else has better insights on why are these blocks not included on the new patterns package. I'm figuring maybe the CSS and HTML blocks are not really a good idea, the JS block was just renamed and the JQuery one was dropped due to being redundant with the JS block.

If I look into my dependencies on OS 11 in the personal cloud, I don't see the module Webpatterns, like in your screenshot. (and as you correctly stated, they are not in the OutSytemsUIWeb).

And to reply on the edit of your post:
>I'm figuring maybe the CSS and HTML blocks are not really a good idea, the JS block was just renamed and the jQuery one was dropped due to being redundant with the JS block.

The EncapsulateJS is an Action, so it can only be used in an action flow. It's not a block I can put on my screen like the above 4 items were in OS 10.

> If I look into my dependencies on OS 11 in the personal cloud, I don't see the module Webpatterns, like in your screenshot. (and as you correctly stated, they are not in the OutSytemsUIWeb).

you have to download the old silk from the forge, but the question is: do you really want to? Because it appears they want to deprecate it. As I mentioned before I edited: I just reimplemented what I needed.

> The EncapsulateJS is an Action, so it can only be used in an action flow. It's not a block I can put on my screen like the above 4 items were in OS 10.

Yes, you are correct. So maybe they want to discourage "hammering down" JS code on the page? Which I totally get, but sometimes MUST be done.

flpmorais wrote:

Yes, you are correct. So maybe they want to discourage "hammering down" JS code on the page? Which I totally get, but sometimes MUST be done.

Yeah, so I'm looking for a solution to this.
BTW it's not just about JS. We also have blocks of HTML and jQuery in use.

The only option I can think of is using and expression and then set Escape Content to No. But that doesn't seem like a good migration when first you had these blocks nicely identified on the screen.

Paul. wrote:

flpmorais wrote:

Yeah, so I'm looking for a solution to this.
BTW it's not just about JS. We also have blocks of HTML and jQuery in use.

The only option I can think of is using and expression and then set Escape Content to No. But that doesn't seem like a good migration when first you had these blocks nicely identified on the screen.

You can download the WebPatterns from the forge, clone and open it, and then copy those old blocks  to a new espace. This way, you won't need to change anything on your original code.

flpmorais wrote:

You can download the WebPatterns from the forge, clone and open it, and then copy those old blocks  to a new espace. This way, you won't need to change anything on your original code.

Very interesting to see how Silk UI provided this functionality. Basically it's indeed Expressions with Escape Content set to No, and then some nice styling on the false part to show in your Service Studio.

So these actions have been completely taken out of OS 11?

> Very interesting to see how Silk UI provided this functionality. Basically it's indeed Expressions with Escape Content set to No, and then some nice styling on the false part to show in your Service Studio.

Don't look at the source code of silk or you may get an heart attack. There was 0 effort in making something even remotely efficient.

> So these actions have been completely taken out of OS 11?

From my knowledge, yes.