I'm setting up user/team roles in lifetime, and I've got most of it working as I would like it to work except for one thing. Extensions.

My setup is as follows:

All lifetime users are divided into teams, and teams are linked to the applications specific to that team.

Per default all users are set up to just be able to list applications, so they wont see anything from other teams in the service studio application list.

The only problem with this is that I cannot add xifs to a team, which means that when a developer is working on an application he cannot reference extensions.

Any idea how I can solve this without having to show all the other teams' applications in the service studio application list?

Solution

Hi,

You add xif to an application, it is a type of module.

To teams you assign applications, not modules.

Regards, 

Daniel

Solution

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi,

You add xif to an application, it is a type of module.

To teams you assign applications, not modules.

Regards, 

Daniel

Thanks! 

I was afraid of that...so that means we have to make a specific application for extensions so that developers can reference those extensions? (or each team their own "extension application")

Or in an IS module?

Hi Jimmy,

Extensions being "just another module" (created using Integration Studio), they will always reside in some Application (even if it is the dreaded Independent Modules). Putting them in Applications (and hiding them behind an eSpace module) is actually an architecture best practice, but doesn't affect the developers' capability to reference them...

If I'm not mistaken, modules in Independent Modules are by default accessible with Change & Deploy privileges, referencing other modules/extensions requires the developer to have at least Reuse & Monitor access to the application where said modules are

I suggest you don't make a single application for all extensions (or even just all extensions of a team), as you will end up with applications from that team having unwanted dependencies to extensions that are not relevant to them at all.

Extensions can be seen by all developers, I don't think there's a way for one team of developers not being able to see another team's extensions.

I believe that's by design, since extensions are intended to er… extend... the platform, so it makes sense that all developers can see and use them.

Even if you create an eSpace to interface with the extension, while you can limit which developers can see it, even those that can't even see the eSpace will still be able to use the extension.

Edit to add:

As an example, I've been working for a client that only gave me access to two applications, but when I go to the Manage Dependencies screen, I can see a *ton* of extensions that definitely aren't inside either of them. Also, I know that other developers can see the extension I've created and added to my core application, even though they probably don't even know my application's names or that they even exist.