Database Collation Issues in Platform Server

Hello,

We've got a problem with our on-premise platform server, with our database instance (SQL Server 2012) having a different collation (Japanese_CI_AS) than our database catalogs (Latin1_General_100_CI_AI_SC).

We started development, with no problems until we had to use an external database using Japanese_CI_AS collation.  

In this case, since it isn't easy to change the existing collation of the database catalogs, is it best to reinstall the databases with the configuration tool? If this is the case, would backing up the existing applications (to .oap files) be enough to recover all the data once the new databases are installed? And also, will the same license file be okay once installed again?

Thanks.

Hi Christopher Philip Maister,

It is not enough to take only oap files because it doesn't consist of data in it. And can elaborate more. What is collation (Japanese_CI_AS) ?... Are you migrating from MySql to another database server eg: MSSQL.

Regards,

Amreen

Amreen Shaikh wrote:

It is not enough to take only oap files because it doesn't consist of data in it. And can elaborate more. What is collation (Japanese_CI_AS) ?... Are you migrating from MySql to another database server eg: MSSQL.

Regards,

Amreen

Collation is the ruleset for ordering and comparison of strings in SQL server; the problem we have is that the platform server database uses a different collation setting compared to the external database. This caused errors like  "Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Japanese_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_100_CI_AI_SC" in the equal to operation." when we used aggregates using both the external database and static entities.

According to here it would be hard to simply change the collation settings of the existing database, so I was thinking that we would just re-create the platform server database again. So, I suppose that would be migrating from MSSQL to another MSSQL. 

Losing data in the tables wouldn't be too much of an issue, since we keep most data in the external database. 

Thanks,

Christopher

Christopher Philip Maister wrote:

Amreen Shaikh wrote:

Regards,

Amreen

Collation is the ruleset for ordering and comparison of strings in SQL server; the problem we have is that the platform server database uses a different collation setting compared to the external database. This caused errors like  "Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Japanese_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_100_CI_AI_SC" in the equal to operation." when we used aggregates using both the external database and static entities.

According to here it would be hard to simply change the collation settings of the existing database, so I was thinking that we would just re-create the platform server database again. So, I suppose that would be migrating from MSSQL to another MSSQL. 

Losing data in the tables wouldn't be too much of an issue, since we keep most data in the external database. 

Thanks,

Christopher

Thank you for elaborating. Never came across such a situation. If you are not much-worried about data then you can have .osp(Outsystems Solution Pack) files also for backup of your app's.

Regards,

Amreen

Thanks, will backup the solution. 

Still, I'd like to know if we will need a new license file if we will recreate the database from zero.

Christopher Philip Maister wrote:

Thanks, will backup the solution. 

Still, I'd like to know if we will need a new license file if we will recreate the database from zero.

Really don't think it requires if it is the same server physically. Please cross check if it is.