Need Help regarding System Data Clean Up

Hi

we have two environment.one is on premises and another one is Outsystem OnCloud.but the main problem outsystem On cloud is we are facing Space issue Repeatedly.with the help of Db Cleaner API we deleted unused E space,E space Version,Entity,Attribute.we deleted all but every time we are getting Systems data is almost.how to clean system data in cloud environment.is there any way to clean system data?

one another thing is we have on premises environment.so we have access of database(Sql Server).we saw that so many log tables are taking space.all are related to system data.is it good option to delete some data from log table because i am worried this all tables are platform related.if i cant delete the system data then how to reduce the size.we are doing Db Shrink and DB Backup.if LDF file size is big then we are reducing the log file size .but is it safe to manually clean the log file.i am attaching one screen shot.

Solution

Hi,

Did you try this other component?

Regards,

Marcelo

Solution

Just deleting the logs isn't very smart, OutSystems re-uses the space so it's also not needed, you can however set the retention of the logs to a lower level so they will get a bit smaller. Also good programming will help to keep the logs small, don't use a lot of preventable exception handling, check regularly the logs for repeating errors, like timers crashing a lot. 

regards,

Wim

Wim van den Brink check regularly the logs for repeating errors, like timers crashing a lot. how to check and clean?with service center error log we can check right?

Just deleting the logs isn't very smart, OutSystems re-uses the space so it's also not needed, you can however set the retention of the logs to a lower level so they will get a bit smaller. Also good programming will help to keep the logs small, don't use a lot of preventable exception handling, check regularly the logs for repeating errors, like timers crashing a lot. 

regards,

Wim

Yep, check in service center, specially the error log. Clean can be done using db clean or the other one in the link above. But in fact if everything works ok you don't need to clean, because OutSystems will reuse the space (if I interpret everything right, there are 10 log tables, outsystems uses views to access the table for service center so you see only one( you can see that in sql server very nice in the views part), after whatever period the pointer for new log entries will move to another log table which gets cleaned first (i think) so you don't nee to clean). Also if you use BPT check those logs also, if BPT processes go wrong they keep restarting so will fill your logs also. You cna also use the shrink option in sql server to get the used space back, but it is time consuming, and because the way outsystems is setup it will reuse the space defined.. so in the end you will get the same sizes. 

regards,

Wim

Wim van den Brink wrote:do you havge any tutorial link and anything.because throgh DB Cleaner we already cleaned E space,E space Version,Unused Entity,unused Attribute but in lifetime it is showing system data is full.

Yep, check in service center, specially the error log. Clean can be done using db clean or the other one in the link above. But in fact if everything works ok you don't need to clean, because OutSystems will reuse the space (if I interpret everything right, there are 10 log tables, outsystems uses views to access the table for service center so you see only one( you can see that in sql server very nice in the views part), after whatever period the pointer for new log entries will move to another log table which gets cleaned first (i think) so you don't nee to clean). Also if you use BPT check those logs also, if BPT processes go wrong they keep restarting so will fill your logs also. You cna also use the shrink option in sql server to get the used space back, but it is time consuming, and because the way outsystems is setup it will reuse the space defined.. so in the end you will get the same sizes. 

regards,

Wim

The local environment you can get more space using the shrink option in sql server, right click on database and use shrink, keep some free space (like 10%) as this will speed up the shrinking process.

For the cloud environment I don't know, access to the db is very limited. Maybe if you switch log retention to only a few days more space is dropped, not sure about that :-( 

You can also ask OutSystems support if they maybe can help you and give some tips. 

regards,

Wim

Wim van den Brink wrote:ok.we are doing db shring in our OnPremises .but oncloud we are facing issue.we raised ticket.lets see.:)

The local environment you can get more space using the shrink option in sql server, right click on database and use shrink, keep some free space (like 10%) as this will speed up the shrinking process.

For the cloud environment I don't know, access to the db is very limited. Maybe if you switch log retention to only a few days more space is dropped, not sure about that :-( 

You can also ask OutSystems support if they maybe can help you and give some tips. 

regards,

Wim

Marcelo Ferreira wrote:i will try and let you know

Hi,

Did you try this other component?

Regards,

Marcelo

Any luck with the support case ? 

Here you can see what OutSystems advises about space issues : 

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Personal_Environment/Manage_the_database_space_of_your_personal_environment

But I think what is suggested there is already done by the db cleaner 

I think in platform configuration you can set the retention parameters for the logs .. not sure if you are able to change that for cloud enviroments

regards,

Wim