Looking for OutSystems 11 Migration Experiences

My organization is starting to explore the effort needed to migrate to OutSystems 11. If your organization has migrated to 11 could you please tell me what your experience has been like? Did it go smoothly? Did your apps require updating or changes? Were there specific out of the box modules that no longer function or have problems in OS 11? I have just been sent the link to the migration documentation but I'd like to hear end-user experiences please. Thank you,

Stephen

Hi Stephen

During the latest OutSytems meetup at Link-It in de Meern, Netherlands last week, this topic was on the agenda.

https://www.meetup.com/nl-NL/Netherlands-Outsystems-Community-Meetup/events/257100353/

Maybe you can get the presentation from them.

Regards,

Daniel

Thank you Daniël! I've reached out to the presenter. 

If anyone else has information to contribute, it would be greatly appreciated!

Stephen

The slides for the presentation were not what I was hoping for.

1. Upgrade plugins / Lifetime environment
  2. Upgrade and test all dev tools and applications

That's doesn't bring any light to the process. The tips are

1. Upgrade Silk UI to OutSystems UI in 3 months
  2. Take your time with the checklist
  3. First go from Java to .NET (if necessary). 

Does anyone have anything more substantial to share than this? I am disappointed that after nearly a week we don't have anything additional. Please share if you have upgraded or are currently in the process of upgrading to 11.

Stephen Genusa wrote:

The slides for the presentation were not what I was hoping for.

1. Upgrade plugins / Lifetime environment
  2. Upgrade and test all dev tools and applications

That's doesn't bring any light to the process. The tips are

1. Upgrade Silk UI to OutSystems UI in 3 months
  2. Take your time with the checklist
  3. First go from Java to .NET (if necessary). 

Does anyone have anything more substantial to share than this? I am disappointed that after nearly a week we don't have anything additional. Please share if you have upgraded or are currently in the process of upgrading to 11.

I am curious what more you are specifically looking for.

OutSystems has done a good job over the years with not having breaking changes. P7 or 8 had a bit of a change in how record lists were handled in extensions, which was a simple adjustment of code, one of those two had a big change in how you address writing your own JavaScript that called jQuery. 9.0 or 9.1 had a change around passwords that was handled automatically during the upgrade. P10 to 11 doesn't have any significant breaking changes unless you are a Java install or using MySQL as your OutSystems database (neither are supported by P11).

So given that there are no straight up bad breaking changes, and that list you gave covers basically... everything there is to it... what are you looking for? If you aren't more specific, you probably won't get it.

J.Ja

I don't have the years of experience you do with OS so what has become routine for you is not a routine for my organization. We are trying to determine how much effort is going to be required to upgrade to 11. We have a lot of cogs in motion from production apps, to new development being done in version 10, to maintenance of existing 10 apps. 

• If your organization has migrated to 11 could you please tell me what your experience has been like?
  • Did it go smoothly? 
  • Did your apps require updating or changes? 
  • Were there specific out of the box modules that no longer function or have problems in OS 11?

Of the existing 10.x user base, how much of the base has already upgraded to 11 or are they largely sticking with 10 for the time being?

Upgrade and then test are dead obvious. The extent of the breaking changes are not obvious. Getting the four questions answered by those who have gone through the process will give us a sense of whether we need to push for the upgrade now (which is our preference), or if it will require a month+ of fixing things, we'll have delay the upgrade. I am not looking for edge cases but general experiences.

Stephen Genusa wrote:

My organization is starting to explore the effort needed to migrate to OutSystems 11. If your organization has migrated to 11 could you please tell me what your experience has been like? Did it go smoothly? Did your apps require updating or changes? Were there specific out of the box modules that no longer function or have problems in OS 11? I have just been sent the link to the migration documentation but I'd like to hear end-user experiences please. Thank you,

Stephen

Hi Stephen Genusa,

I would like to share my experience. If its on-cloud then there's no need to worry. I did it through the lifetime with just one click. But for the On-premises you need to carefully follow the steps mentioned and also if you want to move the data, then you also need properly the physical table names, entities from MySQL to SQL server.

Hope this helps you!!!

Thank you Priya! Those are exactly the kind of comments I am looking for. Thank you very much for taking the time to help!

Stephen Genusa wrote:

I don't have the years of experience you do with OS so what has become routine for you is not a routine for my organization. We are trying to determine how much effort is going to be required to upgrade to 11. We have a lot of cogs in motion from production apps, to new development being done in version 10, to maintenance of existing 10 apps. 

• If your organization has migrated to 11 could you please tell me what your experience has been like?
  • Did it go smoothly? 
  • Did your apps require updating or changes? 
  • Were there specific out of the box modules that no longer function or have problems in OS 11?

Of the existing 10.x user base, how much of the base has already upgraded to 11 or are they largely sticking with 10 for the time being?

Upgrade and then test are dead obvious. The extent of the breaking changes are not obvious. Getting the four questions answered by those who have gone through the process will give us a sense of whether we need to push for the upgrade now (which is our preference), or if it will require a month+ of fixing things, we'll have delay the upgrade. I am not looking for edge cases but general experiences.

I have migrated test systems from 10 to 11 a few times in the OutSystems cloud; it's really just pushing the button to schedule it, then go into my apps, refresh references, download latest versions from the forge, and republish the espaces. That's been the same upgrade path in other upgrades as well.

For on-prem, your timeline depends on the number servers you have, it's typically 10 - 15 minutes per server for me. The procedure is almost identical to an initial installation, click through the installer on each machine. Then as above, download new forge items, refresh references and republish (for DEV), for QA, prod, etc. you should just deploy through from DEV where you did the updates and refreshes.

Unless you are coming from Java or MySQL, there are no significant breaking changes that will delay you, this should fit easily into one sprint/iteration.

As you've already learned, post-migration you should expect to upgrade from SilkUI to OS 11, move from "Notify" to the new events, etc. but those not not going to stop your upgrade, just stuff to do after as you have time.

J.Ja

Thank you sir! This is, again, exactly the kind of information we are looking for. It is greatly appreciated Justin!!