NextStep 2019 Early-Bird Registration - Lowest price avail!

Hello everyone,

I’m excited to announce early-bird registration is now open for NextStep 2019. This is our annual OutSystems customer and community event, which will take place October 2–3 in Denver (my hometown, woot!) and October 29–30 in Amsterdam. 

Get Your Ticket

Last year, many of you attended (or wanted to attend!) the OutSystems Developer Conference. One thing we learned from that event is that you want more tech content

This is why we’ll have a day and a half of technical talks (think architecture, DevOps, testing, mobile app development, etc.) at NextStep this year (just like we did at ODC). There will be more than 30 technical sessions, labs, and lightning talks specifically tailored to developers, tech leads, architects, etc. 

This does mean, however, that we will not be hosting a separate developer conference this year. Instead, we will focus our efforts on creating one (ok, two) excellent events for multiple audiences, with a heavy focus on the developer community.

Check out the video:

Not sure what the ODC talks were like? You’re in luck. :) You can watch all the tech talks here.

Good stuff, right? 

Ok, so early-bird pricing kicks off today, and this is the lowest price you’ll find for the event. And if you’re wondering how to convince your boss to approve your registration, we have a letter you can use; look for it just under the agenda.

OH! And if you’re interested in pitching to speak, we’ll have more info about that soon. :D

We hope to see you there!

** This post was modified on March 4th, to note the number of tech talks and clarify that this year NextStep will be tech-focused

Hi Jennifer,

I'm really sad we are not having ODC this year. Hope you reconsider it.

Regards,

It's quite disappointing, after having the biggest event ever hosted by OutSystems (last year's ODC) to find out that it was a one-off, and the first time ever there won't be a Portugal based event

Best regards,

PC

Marcelo Ferreira wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

I'm really sad we are not having ODC this year. Hope you reconsider it.

Regards,

Hi Marcelo,

ODC was really great! So good we decided to combine it with NextStep this year. We'll have a full day and a half dedicated to multiple tech tracks, just like ODC. I hope you'll consider joining!

Jen

Pedro Coelho wrote:

It's quite disappointing, after having the biggest event ever hosted by OutSystems (last year's ODC) to find out that it was a one-off, and the first time ever there won't be a Portugal based event

Best regards,

PC

Hi Pedro,

Glad you liked ODC last year. Just a note, it was not the biggest event OutSystems has had.  NextStep last year was more than twice as big!!   Really, the primary difference is that we just combined the events.  There will be the full technical tracks just like ODC. If it helps, just call the Amsterdam event ODC + half day of extra stuff. :)

Stacey

Hello,

Just to confirm, there will be no ODC this year? Since it is a Portuguese company, should not there be any event focused on developers in Portugal?

The next step is an event cost investment is a little high, and many developers do not have the financial ability to buy the ticket the more input for everything else.

I think they should have something more focused on the devs whose input is not as high as ODC was.

Cheers,

Thiago Schettini Mari

Hello Jennifer,

I think it is a bit disappointing compared to the ticket offerings last years (2017, 2018) for Next Step events.

Also it is a bit confusing, Next Step had a different agenda and target audience, but now it is Next Step but you write that we can call it "the Amsterdam event ODC + half day of extra stuff.", so what is it:

1. mainly developer tracks (like ODC) with a few of sales/marketing tracks and new feature demos like Next Step? 

or 

2. Sales/marketing + new feature demos like Next Step with a few developer tracks?

For me as a developer it makes a real difference in deciding whether to spend 300 euro and 2 work days, as I am more interested in the developer tracks, than in all the sales/marketing talks.

I can imagine that for many Portuguese OutSystems developers, it is really disappointing that there is no event in Portugal. 

Regards,

Daniel

Hi,

I agree with Daniel and goes against my previous post.

Since the company is Portuguese, it should have some event here in portugal like ODC.

I was disappointed not to have anything like ODC here in portugal, since there are many portuguese developers that can not go to the Next Step.

Cheers,

Thiago S. Mari

If the nextstep is to combine nextstep and ODC, may I then suggest to have one day for nextstep and one day for ODC and have option to by ticket for 2 days or 1 day? 

This gives us the option to choose the day or days that we would like to atend.

Solution

Hey everyone,

Reading through the thread, there are two big questions that I believe we need to answer:

1. Why not Portugal?

2. Is this a marketing/sales event or will this be an ODC-like experience?

I’ll try to add some color to what was shared and hopefully, this will help. We’ll be also updating the original post for clarity and transparency.

Why not Portugal?

We're so thankful for all of you who have helped make NextStep successful over the years. You have fueled an entire ecosystem of developers, partners and customers around our platform and for that we are humbled.  

Please know, it was an incredibly tough decision, but given that the NextStep events are doubling every year, (and we expect that to continue) we realized we can't deliver the same quality conference in two locations in Europe.

Is this a marketing/sales event or will this be an ODC-like experience?

As @jen said, ODC was a big success, feedback was great, and developers, tech leads, architects absolutely loved it. 

This year, we merged ODC and NextStep, meaning that developers, tech leads and architects get two days of highly technical content - just like ODC. The only difference is that you might run into your boss at lunch time. 

To be clear - if you and your team want to learn advanced topics, meet the teams behind the product and network with other OutSystems professionals, save your spot, this will absolutely be a great event for you.

Hopefully this helps clarify.

Mario

Solution

Mário Araújo wrote:

Hey everyone,

Reading through the thread, there are two big questions that I believe we need to answer:

1. Why not Portugal?

2. Is this a marketing/sales event or will this be an ODC-like experience?

I’ll try to add some color to what was shared and hopefully, this will help. We’ll be also updating the original post for clarity and transparency.

Why not Portugal?

We're so thankful for all of you who have helped make NextStep successful over the years. You have fueled an entire ecosystem of developers, partners and customers around our platform and for that we are humbled.  

Please know, it was an incredibly tough decision, but given that the NextStep events are doubling every year, (and we expect that to continue) we realized we can't deliver the same quality conference in two locations in Europe.

Is this a marketing/sales event or will this be an ODC-like experience?

As @jen said, ODC was a big success, feedback was great, and developers, tech leads, architects absolutely loved it. 

This year, we merged ODC and NextStep, meaning that developers, tech leads and architects get two days of highly technical content - just like ODC. The only difference is that you might run into your boss at lunch time. 

To be clear - if you and your team want to learn advanced topics, meet the teams behind the product and network with other OutSystems professionals, save your spot, this will absolutely be a great event for you.

Hopefully this helps clarify.

Mario

Hi Mario,

I have two questions

1) Because there will not be any event here in Portugal since the market is big and not everyone has the financial conditions to go in an event of such magnitude as the next step?

2) Would not you have a chance to go on just one of the days?

Eu acho que tenho o mesmo pensamento que alguns da comunidade, o valor que está a ser pedido (300€) é um grande investimento que nem todos conseguem pagar, além das despesas de deslocamento, alojamento, etc etc.

Devia se pensar nessas pessoas também, que assim como eu, gostaria de ir em eventos da empresa cuja plataforma usamos no nosso dia-a-dia.

I have a sense of the expenses that have to do something of this magnitude, but maybe it would be good to do 2 events that all people could participate, as was the case last year, whose focus was different.

Cheers,

Thiago S. Mari

Hi Thiago, 

Totally understand the investment concerns and how many of us from Portugal won't be able to attend. The short answer to your question about organising a one day event in Lisbon is that we unfortunately can't deliver the same quality conference in two locations in Europe, especially when we're expecting to double the size of the event again.

Some companies, last year, flew in as much as 60 people to ODC, Lisbon. This is a big investment some companies are making on training their OutSystems Developers and making a strong point that they care about them and their careers. Not every company will be able to afford this, I know that, and that's why we will continue to work with the local communities to have a good flow of meetups and online events that will cater to people who might not be able to afford flying to attend on-site events.

Cheers,

Mario

Mário Araújo wrote:

Hi Thiago, 

Totally understand the investment concerns and how many of us from Portugal won't be able to attend. The short answer to your question about organising a one day event in Lisbon is that we unfortunately can't deliver the same quality conference in two locations in Europe, especially when we're expecting to double the size of the event again.

Some companies, last year, flew in as much as 60 people to ODC, Lisbon. This is a big investment some companies are making on training their OutSystems Developers and making a strong point that they care about them and their careers. Not every company will be able to afford this, I know that, and that's why we will continue to work with the local communities to have a good flow of meetups and online events that will cater to people who might not be able to afford flying to attend on-site events.

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Mario,

I already know the meetups and I've been in some even.

I understand the quality issue and agree about that, but as already said, there should be something smaller here in Portugal.

Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately, I will be one of the people who will not be able to go on the next step.

Thanks,

Thiago S. Mari

Hey Mario, just curious if there was any thought towards a virtual ticket?  It might solve some people's concerns about location.

I really like Craig suggestion. It's a great idea, maybe something Outsystems should think about. Normally on this virtual tickets you can even get some swag ;)

They usually put the recorded sessions online not long after the event, would that meet your needs Craig?

J.Ja

This was posted, but somehow didn't show up, in this thread, so I repost it again.

There is a new reply in a discussion you've commented!

Daniel,
 Answering directly to your question: we will have at least 4 developer tracks during 1 day and a half (like ODC) and a few of sales/marketing tracks for business people on the first day's afternoon (they'll even be in a different area). For our beloved technical audience, we are also building a NEO world, just like the one we had at ODC, to welcome our developers, MVP, community, training, and careers activities.
 The agenda, as we can on the website is something like:
 Day 1:
 - Morning : OutSystems Keynote
 - Afternoon : 4 tech training rooms + business sessions
 Day 2:
 Morning + Afternoon : 4 tech training rooms (just like ODC)

Our main goal is to allow you all to access the same level of training content and technical sessions as in ODC. This time, we're just having it all together :)

Reply by Joana Mendonça

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

This was posted, but somehow didn't show up, in this thread, so I repost it again.

There is a new reply in a discussion you've commented!

Daniel,
 Answering directly to your question: we will have at least 4 developer tracks during 1 day and a half (like ODC) and a few of sales/marketing tracks for business people on the first day's afternoon (they'll even be in a different area). For our beloved technical audience, we are also building a NEO world, just like the one we had at ODC, to welcome our developers, MVP, community, training, and careers activities.
 The agenda, as we can on the website is something like:
 Day 1:
 - Morning : OutSystems Keynote
 - Afternoon : 4 tech training rooms + business sessions
 Day 2:
 Morning + Afternoon : 4 tech training rooms (just like ODC)

Our main goal is to allow you all to access the same level of training content and technical sessions as in ODC. This time, we're just having it all together :)

Reply by Joana Mendonça

Hi,

Yesterday I remembered one thing. It was said in one of the previous posts that it had to be done outside of portugal because of the capacity and so on. But I was in the Web Summits of 2018 and 2017 and they were huge (with a lot more people than the Next Step), and one of the conferences they do (MoneyConf) is even going to move to Portugal because of the logistical capacity.

So I still do not realize how they do not do something in Portugal, since the company itself is Portuguese and had many Portuguese developers at ODC.

Cheers,

Thiago S. Mari

Hi Thiago,

Sorry for the misunderstanding here. You must be referring to my comment where I said "...we realized we can't deliver the same quality conference in two locations in Europe."

What I meant to say was that our team can not handle two events in Europe with the same quality that you're used to. It's not the problem of finding a venue for everyone, it's the fact that we expect to double the size of the event again this year.

Hope this helps clarify the misunderstanding.

Mario

Mário Araújo wrote:

Hi Thiago,

Sorry for the misunderstanding here. You must be referring to my comment where I said "...we realized we can't deliver the same quality conference in two locations in Europe."

What I meant to say was that our team can not handle two events in Europe with the same quality that you're used to. It's not the problem of finding a venue for everyone, it's the fact that we expect to double the size of the event again this year.

Hope this helps clarify the misunderstanding.

Mario

Hi Mario, 

about this comments yes i'm.

Thiago S. Mari