Hello all,

I have been using comment fields a lot lately and I have come accross a rather annoying situation a number of times now, but I can't explain it and thus don't know how to avoid it. So I am asking for advice.

Here is the situation:

I place a comment field inside a server or client action, double click it to set the focus and start typing my comment. So far so good. But sometimes, out of nowhere, the comment field looses focus while I am typing, the same as if I had clicked outside the active comment field. Doesn't matter if my mouse is positioned over the field or not, doesn't seem to have to do with any keys I press, it just sometimes happens. It happens to comment fields that have a drawn arrow pointing to anywhere between 0 and 5 other objects inside the action (I am not saying it doesn't happen for 6+ arrows, I just haven't tested it). It also seems to happen in random intervalls, sometimes a dozen times while writing a two-sentence-comment, sometimes not for 20 comments in a row. Sometimes after only 3-4 key strokes, sometimes not for 300 words. As you can see, I can find no rhyme or reason for it and it's frustrating as hell.

I'd very much apprecaite any insight into why this happens and / or how I can prevent it from happening (as often). Properly commenting my programms is a pain atm because of this.

Thank you all in advance,
Michael

Solution

Hi Michael,

That's not just a problem with comments, it's a focus-stealing bug that also happens when editing things like labels, but because those are, in general shorter, you don't notice it that often. It's a known bug, and indeed very annoying (before I heard others complaining about it, I thought I was going mad :)). I'll poke someone at OutSystems to see if they have it in their backlog.

Solution

I did some poking, and it is on the backlog now (if a bit difficult to reproduce).

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Michael,

That's not just a problem with comments, it's a focus-stealing bug that also happens when editing things like labels, but because those are, in general shorter, you don't notice it that often. It's a known bug, and indeed very annoying (before I heard others complaining about it, I thought I was going mad :)). I'll poke someone at OutSystems to see if they have it in their backlog.

Hey Kilian,

thanks for the reply. Good to know that I am not the only one having this issue and hopefully OutSystems will look into it soon. I guess I'll just have to live with it until then, but at least it's not just because I am doing something wrong, that would be even more annoying.

Best regards,
Michael

Yeah, it's not just you. Shared pain is better (though no pain would be preferable) :).