[Data Grid] GridContainerJSON widget is missing

Forge Component
(23)
Published on 29 Mar by OutSystems R&D
23 votes
Published on 29 Mar by OutSystems R&D

Hi,

The component documentation has a widget named GridContainerJSON
However, this widget is not in that component. Is that component still under development?

Thank you

Hi Ferhat,

Thanks for pointing it out.

We considered having such an approach but, in the end, we opted for not implementing this feature. Unfortunately, we didn't remove the reference from the documentation. We'll release a new version without this reference there. 

Nevertheless, do you feel the need for such a feature?

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Ricardo Alves

Ricardo Alves wrote:

Hi Ferhat,

Thanks for pointing it out.

We considered having such an approach but, in the end, we opted for not implementing this feature. Unfortunately, we didn't remove the reference from the documentation. We'll release a new version without this reference there. 

Nevertheless, do you feel the need for such a feature?

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Ricardo Alves

Hi Alves,

In my opinion, it would be nice.
Actually, we wanted to use it on our application but couldn't find the widget with direct JSON.

I'm just curious about the background of that idea why you didn't want to build that widget?
At the moment I need to create an additional REST API.

I wish I could use it like table records. In preparation, I get my records then serialize JSON.
It's less effort than building a REST API

Best Regards

Solution

Hi Ferhat,

We decided to put that particular feature on hold since it had lots of performance issues.

Nevertheless, we're improving the component still, and we'll be adding more capabilities as well. We know that there are some development issues and we intend to address them.

Please keep giving us your feedback, so that we can keep going in the right direction.

Regards,

Ricardo Alves

Solution

Hi Ricardo,

Currently, my team is using jqGrid for complicate grids in our apps. We have just come to know about Data Grid recently and we were so excited that this component is officially supported by OutSystems and it is a low-code component. When we were about to convert all jqGrid grids to this one, we found that the only component we could use was "GridContainer" which did not support JSON string. It is such a big disappointment because we do not want to create RestAPI methods which is going to consume too many application objects.

We really appreciate that OutSystems is going in the right direction in acquiring this awesome grid for your customer. Please consider including GridContainerJSON in the next release. I believe that many more customers would also appreciate and adopt this component in the future.  

Thank you for considering.