[OutSystems UI Mobile] Controlled mobile app update

Forge Component
(59)
Published on 4 Feb by OutSystems R&D
59 votes
Published on 4 Feb by OutSystems R&D

Hi!

We are facing a problem in the update of the mobile application. As far as we know, Outsystems has the ability to automatically update the content of a mobile application without the need to deploy a new apk, except for the Cordova plugins. The problem is that Outsystems updates the application, even if there are new Cordova plugins to be updated. Our query is wether the application can be prevented from being updated automatically. Even without the problem of Cordova plugins, we would like to have this possibility, because we have an MDM to manage the distribution and update of applications.

Thanks!

Hello!

I think that is not possible to prevent this update; In this case you will need to involve your MDM team together with application development team, and proceed with the promotion to production environment only when the application could be updated.

Regards,

Tiago

Hello Tiago,

But then, how do you prevent the application from updating a functionality that is susceptible to generating errors while the Cordova plugins are not updated?

I think it is a very dangerous feature and that it should be avoided. Are you telling us that it is not possible to avoid a high-risk situation? Are we wrong in that the Cordova plugins are not updated?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

As Tiago said before, it is not possible to turn off the auto update feature. However, there a set of best practices to avoid/workaround that. For that use case in particular, our recomendation is to protect your app from the unavailability of the required Cordova plugin. If you check our supported plugins, all of them have a client action that allows you to validate if the plugin is available before take a decision/action on your app. 

You can learn about this topic here.

Cheers,

Luis Silva

CROSS DTI wrote:

Hello Tiago,

But then, how do you prevent the application from updating a functionality that is susceptible to generating errors while the Cordova plugins are not updated?

I think it is a very dangerous feature and that it should be avoided. Are you telling us that it is not possible to avoid a high-risk situation? Are we wrong in that the Cordova plugins are not updated?

Thanks!

Hello!

As Luis said, you must check if the plugin is available in your flow, and take properly decisions accordingly plugin's answer.

I attached an example for you.

Regards,

Tiago