Dear Outsystems community,

there are lots of topics about downloading binary data saved in DB, but none that fits my use case. Which is:

• I have binary data (PDF files) generated daily by an outsystems service and stored in the outsystems cloud database
  • I want to have a scheduled automatic download (e.g. once every day) of recently created files with the aim of archiving them in our ERP system

This means that there must be no user accessing a page through a web browser and saving each file (or a ZIP of files) manually. It could have been done through the native windows bitsdownload tool or some download manager, but they expect absolute paths (e.g. https://yourenvironment.com/PDF/abc-file.pdf)...

How would you do it? Is there maybe a way to automatically call a REST service and downloading its response as file?

Hi Dimitri Kobzar,

I think you can achieve this with Timers in OutSystems, for creating timers please find the reference.

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Developing_an_Application/Use_Timers

Let me know if you need further help.

Sravan

Hi Sravan,

thank you for a quick reply, but with timers I can only download from a source TO outsystems database. I need it the other way round - I need to get the data out of outsystems database to a local storage.

Hello Dimitri,

If you want something that will download a file from a server to a client machine at some schedule, you will need to create a native app for that, as you can't do that using web applications.

And yes, you will need to provide the absolute path to the files, or at least expose a REST/SOAP that will be able to return the file/files and use this in a native application. 

I would say that would be easier to store those files in an external service, like an FTP or some cloud service like amazon, dropbox, etc, and than use a native application to download from it.

Cheers.

Hi Eduardo,

thanks for sharing your ideas. This is what I thought as well - the solution is rather outside the realm of outsystems.

Indeed.