Video: How To Add a Data Grid to an OutSystems Web Application

For many applications, a simple data table can be used for displaying data. But sometimes, users want more functionality than a data table provides, such as dynamic grouping, large data sets, and Excel-like UI. 

With the Data Grid component, you can have all that and more. 

In this first How-To video in a series covering the Data Grid, I demonstrate how you can add a Data Grid to your project in just 3 steps and in around 3 minutes.

https://youtu.be/IBoafMgLefM

Feedback welcome, and please let us know if there are other how-to topics you'd like to see addressed by the Developer Advocacy team!

Hi G. Andrew Duthie,

I just saw your video it was very nice and loaded with so many inbuilt functionality, Thanks for that it will be very useful.

If you don't mind can you explain me how it handles below scenario, I'm asking this question because currently I have OutSystem application which is handling 10 K records, but planning to scale up to 400,000 records. I'm thinking this grid may suitable.

1. Consider I have 400,000 records, this grid will load all at time ? usually OutSystems built in table grid will hit server every time we click on page number. is it different than that ?

2. Looks like its UI grid, If it loads all content at time to browser, how we can make sure data security ?

Sravan

Sravan Vanteru wrote:

1. Consider I have 400,000 records, this grid will load all at time ? usually OutSystems built in table grid will hit server every time we click on page number. is it different than that ?

2. Looks like its UI grid, If it loads all content at time to browser, how we can make sure data security ?

I'm still exploring the Data Grid myself, so I'm not sure in terms of scaling...it's definitely a topic I will plan to cover in future videos, however, since I know how important that can be.

As for security, can you clarify what you mean? Any time you display data to the user, it is at that point completely in control of the client. Whether it's embedded in markup, or in JSON in memory, once you send it to the client, the client can do whatever they want with it, if they're sufficiently determined.

Can you share what you're trying to prevent?