How to work with the Slider Widget

Hello everybody!

This week's video is up! Today's topic is the slider widget and how to work with it along with other widgets. You can find the video here https://youtu.be/gPxVELphELw

As always topic suggestions and actionable feedback is welcome!

Hey Jay,

thanks for the video. Since this was the first one of this series I watched, I can't compare to how things are done in others, but I was really missing any kind of explanation of the slider widget's properties and how they affect what you can do with it. The things you explained are fairly common with other widgets too (how to use OnChange action and ajaxy refresh), but you didn't even mention the properties that are unique to this widget, which is what I what would have expected from this video. I guess my feedback is to focus more on what sets a topic apart or is unique about it, since that will be where most guidance is needed.

Best regards,
Michael

Thanks! Good Work

Michael Segbers wrote:

Hey Jay,

thanks for the video. Since this was the first one of this series I watched, I can't compare to how things are done in others, but I was really missing any kind of explanation of the slider widget's properties and how they affect what you can do with it. The things you explained are fairly common with other widgets too (how to use OnChange action and ajaxy refresh), but you didn't even mention the properties that are unique to this widget, which is what I what would have expected from this video. I guess my feedback is to focus more on what sets a topic apart or is unique about it, since that will be where most guidance is needed.

Best regards,
Michael

Hello Michael, how are you?

That's great feedback! I appreciate it a lot! :)

We've (by "we" I mean the Advocacy Team) started recently to create these videos so we're still trying to find a balance. My first videos were all between 10~15 minutes long getting into more details on components and actions. But we've noticed that retention (i.e.: People watching the video all the way to the end) was small.

So we are trying our had on shorter videos (around 5 minutes). And of course it's hard to show a lot of contant in short videos... As I said, we're figuring out the balance.

Specifically the Slider video was based on a question I got on Twitter - https://twitter.com/munrod10/status/1112653353056559105 - So I focused exactly what was in the question (how to create a slider that when changed would update an entity).

If you check the line graph videos or the combo boxes videos you'll see that the approach was slightly different.

But I'll keep your feedback in mind for future videos. In the meantime if there's any feature you'd like to know more about please let us know!

Alberto Ferreira wrote:

Thanks! Good Work

Thanks Alberto! :)

Jay Santos wrote:

Hello Michael, how are you?

That's great feedback! I appreciate it a lot! :)

We've (by "we" I mean the Advocacy Team) started recently to create these videos so we're still trying to find a balance. My first videos were all between 10~15 minutes long getting into more details on components and actions. But we've noticed that retention (i.e.: People watching the video all the way to the end) was small.

So we are trying our had on shorter videos (around 5 minutes). And of course it's hard to show a lot of contant in short videos... As I said, we're figuring out the balance.

Specifically the Slider video was based on a question I got on Twitter - https://twitter.com/munrod10/status/1112653353056559105 - So I focused exactly what was in the question (how to create a slider that when changed would update an entity).

If you check the line graph videos or the combo boxes videos you'll see that the approach was slightly different.

But I'll keep your feedback in mind for future videos. In the meantime if there's any feature you'd like to know more about please let us know!

Hey Jay,

no worries, I know that it's impossible to hit the expectations of every viewer every time. 5-7 min is definitely a more viewer friendly format than 10-15 min from my experience.

As for this video being tailored towards a specific question, that is good to know. I know that you mentioned it in the beginning of the video, but I thought of it more as an idea for a topic instead of a specific question. I am not sure how you are recording / cutting these videos, but in a case like this, maybe you could blend in the question (tweet, forum entry, etc) that you are basing the video's approach to a topic on at the beginning of the video or at least add a link to it in the video's description. That would have definitely informed my expecatations of the video.

Best regards,
Michael

"maybe you could blend in the question (tweet, forum entry, etc) that you are basing the video's approach to a topic on at the beginning of the video or at least add a link to it in the video's description. That would have definitely informed my expecatations of the video."

That's a good one! I'll make sure to do it next time I have this type of video