Most robust use of ExcelToRecordList

I need to use excel files from users - which of course means that they may be formatted incorrectly.

I may be wrong, but my understanding of ExcelToRecordList is this:

1. If mapping to a structure, the excel columns are decoded in order, ignoring the header in the excel file. For example, if the excel file has columns named "FirstName, LastName" (in that order), and the structure had fields "LastName, FirstName" (in that order), the values would go to the wrong fields.

2. If mapping to an entity, the header IS checked, but it is case sensitive. So mapping the previous excel file to an entity with fields "firstName, LastName" would not fill any data for FirstName.

My question: Is it possible for the mapping to be header based, but not case sensitive? I want the excel conversion to work even if the excel header is typo'd in lower case, upper case etc etc. Is this doable?

MichaelR wrote:

I need to use excel files from users - which of course means that they may be formatted incorrectly.

I may be wrong, but my understanding of ExcelToRecordList is this:

1. If mapping to a structure, the excel columns are decoded in order, ignoring the header in the excel file. For example, if the excel file has columns named "FirstName, LastName" (in that order), and the structure had fields "LastName, FirstName" (in that order), the values would go to the wrong fields.

2. If mapping to an entity, the header IS checked, but it is case sensitive. So mapping the previous excel file to an entity with fields "firstName, LastName" would not fill any data for FirstName.

My question: Is it possible for the mapping to be header based, but not case sensitive? I want the excel conversion to work even if the excel header is typo'd in lower case, upper case etc etc. Is this doable?

Hi,

I don't think this is doable with the built in functions. You could certainly create your own extension to do this though - and there may be (I haven't looked) something in the forge already that would help.

Stacey