Set Roles to external database

Hello Guys,

I'm struggling to find a solution on how to set roles to external database...I don't want to use the OutSystems default User Entity,I want to set roles to employees table bootstrapped from Excel.

Anyone who can help me peeps please.

Regards

Siseko 

Hi Siseko,

If you want to use OutSystems in a secure way, you need to have a user provider eSpace that in turn uses Users. You don't need to set Users as the user provider, but you need some kind of user provider, and use the OutSystems Roles at least for secure Screen access. Then, you can use the meta-model from System (User, Role, User_Role, Group_Role etc.) to bootstrap from your Excel.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Siseko,

If you want to use OutSystems in a secure way, you need to have a user provider eSpace that in turn uses Users. You don't need to set Users as the user provider, but you need some kind of user provider, and use the OutSystems Roles at least for secure Screen access. Then, you can use the meta-model from System (User, Role, User_Role, Group_Role etc.) to bootstrap from your Excel.

Thanks Kilian,

Can u perhaps simplify your explanation because I am still not sure how to go about this solution

Hi Siseko,

The System Entities User, Group, Role, User_Group, User_Role and Group_Role contain information about the users (User), user groups (Group), roles (Role), which users are in which groups (User_Group), which users have which role (User_Role) and which groups have which roles (Group_Role). In the Users Module, there are various actions to manipulate these Entities (User_Create/CreateOrUpdate/DeleteIfNoRoles/Update, Group_CreateNew/Delete/Update). Other manipulation is done directly through the Entity Actions (e.g. CreateOrUpdateGroup_User).

If you define the proper Roles (in your Modules), and create the users you need (via the Users Module), you can write your Excel bootstrap by taking the users and roles (or groups and roles) from the Excel, looking them up in the database (via an Aggregate), and updating the right Entities to reflect what you find in the Excel.