Greetings Folks,

Whether this Location-Plugin uses the GPS or Network to get the Location of Device?

I Installed the application & initially it demands me Permission on the device, then I executed my GetLocation Action & it returns me the Lat-Long; Even though my GPS was de-active.

The Location I received is from network coz the GPS was Inactive & that's good, But What about GPS approach....? This Plugin doesn't validate or Prompt user for GPS.

Does anyone have an idea about this?

Addition to Question:

Plugin Detail:

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/1395/location-plugin

Thanks,
Assif

Hi Assif,

You have this plugin: https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/1916/diagnostic-plugin

And, you have these actions that do the following:

IsLocationAvailable:
"Checks if app is able to access device location. On iOS this returns true if both the device setting is enabled and the application is authorized to use location. On Android, this returns true if Location  is enabled and if the app is authorised to use location."

isLocationAuthorized:
"Checks if the application is authorized to use location."

You can check if Location (GPS) is available, and after, you know if location was provided by GPS.

I already used that, and works fine.

You can check all documentation here

I hope this help you.

Best regards.

Hi Assif,

It would be quite helpful if you started by stating what plugin you are talking about, as you neither post your question on a component's Support page nor mention a specific component/plugin on your question.

That being said, and assuming you are talking about the Location Plugin, it will request permission to access the device's location, how it is obtained is not relevant from a privacy/security standpoint, is it?

I know Android has at least two levels of precision (coarse- and fine-location) and the plugin requests permissions for both; as far as I know, iOS decides which of the available hardware mechanisms to use in order to determine location (not really in the hands of the developer), and the plugin requests permission for location services in general (you can find the plugin's manifest here).

Paulo Cação wrote:

Hi Assif,

You have this plugin: https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/1916/diagnostic-plugin

And, you have these actions that do the following:

IsLocationAvailable:
"Checks if app is able to access device location. On iOS this returns true if both the device setting is enabled and the application is authorized to use location. On Android, this returns true if Location  is enabled and if the app is authorised to use location."

isLocationAuthorized:
"Checks if the application is authorized to use location."

You can check if Location (GPS) is available, and after, you know if location was provided by GPS.

I already used that, and works fine.

You can check all documentation here

I hope this help you.

Best regards.

Thanks, Paulo Cação,

Definitely, I would try this one as of it validate the location against GPS.

Jorge Martins wrote:

Hi Assif,

It would be quite helpful if you started by stating what plugin you are talking about, as you neither post your question on a component's Support page nor mention a specific component/plugin on your question.

That being said, and assuming you are talking about the Location Plugin, it will request permission to access the device's location, how it is obtained is not relevant from a privacy/security standpoint, is it?

I know Android has at least two levels of precision (coarse- and fine-location) and the plugin requests permissions for both; as far as I know, iOS decides which of the available hardware mechanisms to use in order to determine location (not really in the hands of the developer), and the plugin requests permission for location services in general (you can find the plugin's manifest here).

hi Jorge Martins,

Pardon me, Actually, I was supposed to post it in Plugin Support & I prepared the post with the same perspective but by Mistake, I posted it in General.

Perhaps coming to the Post:

Yes !!, You noticed correctly I am using the Location Plugin, I do cross check the Android Source Code for the same & it requests the below permissions:

Manifest.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
Manifest.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION 

Which states that this plugin gonna use GPS as well as Network, but it doesn't validate i.e force to activate GPS, as it refers to Network location when GPS is Not Active.

And thus I want to confirm this behavior so that I can manually Validate the GPS Check or Maybe I have to go with Paulo Cação Solution.

Let me know your thoughts on Same.

The plug-in doesn't force what mechanism to use to determine location, so if you really want to know if GPS can be used, and you are on an Android, you can use Paulo's suggestion.

Note that you still don't really control what information was used to determine location... and it won't prompt you for "GPS permission" either, as far as I'm aware.

Why is this relevant?