How to Read excel file stored in our system drive

Hi ,

I need to read a file stored from the drive of my Pc and need to store that file in outsystem,I have created a logic for it as follows but i recieve a error saying access is denied

Hi Karthik,

For security reasons web applications don't have access to client disks. Your best option is to upload the file with the upload widget.

Regards,

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,

Any other alternate Option is available instead of Upload Widget since we need to automate the Process

Hi,

Do you have an On Premise environment? You can use a share folder and use those same actions. In this case you would need to give permissions to that folder to the user that runs your application on IIS or use a user password on the action.

Regards,

Marcelo

Hi Karthik,

I assume you're using on-premise environment or somehow you access the shared folder from OutSystems.
Then, you can use the FileSystem component to read file from the network

With best regards,
F.Karatay

Hi Karthik,

Please stop to think about what you are trying to do. OutSystems applications run on a server, in the cloud or on-premise (i.e. located somewhere in your local network, which can still be a private cloud). That server has disks, so if you are referring, in your application, to "C:", you are referring to the local server disk named "C:".

If your app runs on a cloud server (e.g. in the Amazon cloud), it cannot reach your local PC (unless you use a VPN), and that's a good thing! If it could, everybody could and your PC would be hacked in no-time. If your app runs on an on-premise server, you could give the server (or rather, the network user running your app) access to your local PC via a share, but the PC would need to be accessible whenever the timer doing the download runs.

Like others have said, for on-premise the best way is to use a network share, but the OutSystems app needs to be able to access it, e.g. by using a Run As user. If you have a cloud server, you can use Dropbox or Google Drive or the like.