Views
Comments
Solved
Linked Combo Boxes
Question

Hello,

I would like to link two Combo Boxes and achieve the following:

1.  If I select an item in Combo Box A, it will filter the related items in Combo Box B.  Entity A is the parent of Entity B in the data model.

2.  If I select an item in Combo Box B, it will automatically select the parent item in Combo Box A.

How do I do this ?

Cheers, Richard.

Solution

Hello Richard, 

I think that this video is perfect for you to understand how to start this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8-4qdEbSng

Good work!

Camila

Hey Richard,

Create 2 variables (1 for each dropdown, with the correct type).
Create 2 on change actions (1 for each dropdown).
In your preparation query the selection of A and B and use these in your combo boxes.
In the aggregate for B, use the following filter: VariableForA = NullIdentifier() OR B.ParentId = VariableForA

Now for the on change action on B, if the variable for A is empty, set the variable you for A to the value of the parent. Then use an Ajax Refresh on combo box A.

For the on change action on A, use a data refresh on the aggregate for B (in your preparation), you might want to set the variable for B to NullIdentifier() aswell, then refresh the combo box for B.

This shouldn't be too difficult to implement, but let me know if you have any problems still.

Hi Richard,

Here is a basic example. I attached an OML file.
Hope it helps.

With best regards,
F.Karatay

Example.oml

Here is my solution to this (I can't share the OML because my Personal environment is down for maintenance)

The second aggregate has a filter by the parent Id. Each Combobox is bound to the corresponding Entity variable.

The on change is bound to the Entity A combobox then refreshes the GetEntityBSByEntityAId and an Ajax Refresh to the Combo Box that holds Entity Bs value

You really should look to what Camila Teixeira linked. i watched it and It is exacty what you need.

BR

you need to do something like this:
 https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/46674/read-widgets-during-extended-properties-onchange/
But in the on change action of the 1st dropdown, you need to drag a refresh data widget (to update your 2nd dropdown) with filters to make what you want and then an ajax refresh to update the 2nd dropdown.
I hope it will helps you.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Nuno Pereira