Send email from a service application

I have a requirement to send email notifications form a service application. We have already configured emails in one of the web apps and it works fine. In service app it's not giving me an option to "Add Email" which was present in the Interface pane in web app. Anyone has any idea how this can be achieved without me having to implement the emails in a separate web app and call it from the service application ? Any pointers would be helpful here !

Hi Tushar. Unfortunately service applications do not have any kind of Interface - including emails.

You will need to use a web application if you want to use the platform email designer.

leonardo.fernandes wrote:

Hi Tushar. Unfortunately service applications do not have any kind of Interface - including emails.

You will need to use a web application if you want to use the platform email designer.

Thanks for the reply Leo.

That's very weird. Looks like a feature that should be shoved in there on priority. I can think of a lot of scenarios where this would be very helpful. 

Also won't this just violate the 3 layer canvas principles where you should't be calling anything from the lower layers(service) to the Upper ones(Web applications) ? 

Solution

I agree with you that this feature would be useful.

But once you have emails inside service applications, you will want to link to web screens, include web blocks, use themes, etc. This would bring lots of runtime dependencies into your service application, which is also undesirable. So I can understand why it was left out.

Regarding your question about the architecture, you can have a web application that belongs to the Core layer. Core layers can have user interface elements that can be reused. It often makes sense to have web blocks in the Core layer, and self-contained screens such as email screens and PDF screens. If you place the email into the Core layer, then you're not be violating any architecture rule.

Solution

I agree with you that this feature would be useful.

But once you have emails inside service applications, you will want to link to web screens, include web blocks, use themes, etc. This would bring lots of runtime dependencies into your service application, which is also undesirable. So I can understand why it was left out.

Regarding your question about the architecture, you can have a web application that belongs to the Core layer. Core layers can have user interface elements that can be reused. It often makes sense to have web blocks in the Core layer, and self-contained screens such as email screens and PDF screens. If you place the email into the Core layer, then you're not be violating any architecture rule.

Cool. thanks for your replies . Really helpful !