While moving build to development to Testing environment, Dev entity data are deleted

Hi 

While moving build to development to the Testing environment, Dev entity data are deleted is there any configuration need to be enabled in the service center?

Regards,

Sachin

Hello Sachin,

Deployment does not bring data from one environment to another.
There is no configuration that enables this.

If you want to bring data from one server to the other, you need to implement a way yourself.

Bootstrapping data from excel, or using database scripts to copy data, or using third-party tools to move data between databases, etc,

Cheers.

Hi Sachin R,

While you are moving the application to different environment the data inside the entity can't be moved because those are two different SQL servers.Where (Dev&Test) will have there dedicated SQL servers.

I am not having any idea about the configure.

According to my knowledge we can export the data(Excel File) from the entity by creating a server action, And use Bootstrap on the entity.

Regards,

Koushik

Hi Sachin,

If I read your question correctly, you're trying to move your developments from the DEV environment to the TEST environment, and you're questioning why didn't the data stored in the DEV environment didn't showed up in the TEST environment. 

If this is the correct question, it's because they are two different environments, each one with they're own database. Outsystems only moves the code form one environment to another, the data is untouched. That's why you have different data in different environments. The only data that moves from one environment to another is the Static Entities. And no, there is no configuration to move the data, you need to do a bootstrap action to achieve that or fill it by hand.

Best Regards,

Diogo

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Sachin,

Deployment does not bring data from one environment to another.
There is no configuration that enables this.

If you want to bring data from one server to the other, you need to implement a way yourself.

Bootstrapping data from excel, or using database scripts to copy data, or using third-party tools to move data between databases, etc,

Cheers.

HI Eduardo Jauch

Initially, 200 records were there(Table-Person) in the QA environment DB. After deployment of build from DEV to QA environment, the table is empty in the QA. All records are deleted. I am wondering how the records are deleted? 

Kindly help me to resolve this issue.

Diogo Barata wrote:

Hi Sachin,

If I read your question correctly, you're trying to move your developments from the DEV environment to the TEST environment, and you're questioning why didn't the data stored in the DEV environment didn't showed up in the TEST environment. 

If this is the correct question, it's because they are two different environments, each one with they're own database. Outsystems only moves the code form one environment to another, the data is untouched. That's why you have different data in different environments. The only data that moves from one environment to another is the Static Entities. And no, there is no configuration to move the data, you need to do a bootstrap action to achieve that or fill it by hand.

Best Regards,

Diogo

Hi Diogo,

Even I am facing the same issue. When I move the build from DEV to the Test environment, all records of Test environment DB  are deleted in the Test environment. It is happening for few times.

Could you please help me

Kind Regards,

Divya

divya v wrote:

Diogo Barata wrote:

Hi Sachin,

Best Regards,

Diogo

Hi Diogo,

Even I am facing the same issue. When I move the build from DEV to the Test environment, all records of Test environment DB  are deleted in the Test environment. It is happening for few times.

Could you please help me

Kind Regards,

Divya

Hi Divya,

Without looking at the code it's difficult to help. Check if you don't have a Timer with the Schedule "When Published" that Deletes the data or any other forgotten logic that deletes it. 

If you're not using the Outsystems Cloud environments it can be a lot of different stuff that might not even be related with Outsystems.

Best Regards,

Diogo

Hi Sachin,

If in DEV you replaced the entity by a new one (even with the same name), the system, on deployment, create a new table (empty) and is using the new table now.

This is the most probable reason for the data to disappear.

If you revert to before this happens and deploy again, the data should appear (but then you will not have all your development since this change)

Cheers.

Diogo Barata wrote:

divya v wrote:

Diogo Barata wrote:

Hi Sachin,

Best Regards,

Diogo

Hi Diogo,

Could you please help me

Kind Regards,

Divya

Hi Divya,

Without looking at the code it's difficult to help. Check if you don't have a Timer with the Schedule "When Published" that Deletes the data or any other forgotten logic that deletes it. 

If you're not using the Outsystems Cloud environments it can be a lot of different stuff that might not even be related with Outsystems.

Best Regards,

Diogo

Hi,

I have used a timer for inserting records from external tables into Outsystem DB. In that timer logic, I did not use Delete entity action and also nowhere else. But how the records are getting deleted?

Regards,

Divya

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi Sachin,

If in DEV you replaced the entity by a new one (even with the same name), the system, on deployment, create a new table (empty) and is using the new table now.

This is the most probable reason for the data to disappear.

If you revert to before this happens and deploy again, the data should appear (but then you will not have all your development since this change)

Cheers.

Hi Eduardo,

In the DEV environment, I cut that table and pasted again in the DEV environment. So, the table will become empty. After build movement from DEV to QA, you mean to say, all records of a table in QA DB will be deleted.

Am I right?

And also, If I do cut and paste(table) in DEV DB, how the records of QA DB will be deleted? Because, when we move the build from DEV to QA, only the code will be moved, not the records of the table.

Regards,

Sachin

Hi Sachin,

When you cut/paste the entity, a new entity was created in the platform and a new table was created in the database in dev.

When you deployed the application to QA, the new version has a new entity, and so, it will create a new table in the QA database. 

You do not "erased" the data, you just created a NEW table and started to use it instead of the old one.

Cheers.

Hi Eduardo,

After the cut and paste of the table in the DEV environment, I inserted 100 records into the table in the DEV environment. Then I moved the build from DEV to QA environment. So, I agree that QA table is empty.

But after some time, I am inserting 200 records into QA DB.

Again when I move the build from DEV to QA environment, QA DB table should retain that old 200 records. Right?

But, why the table is empty in the QA environment?

Kind Regards,

Sachin

The only explanation I can offer is that at some point, you or someone else did the same thing again...