Out of Space So Much That Cant Access at all

Hi,

I'm getting client script errors when loading any app and while I can connect with the IDE when I publish I get the old classic:

Internal Error
Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.ossys_Espace_Version'.'PK_OSSYS_ESPACE_VERSION' in database 'ZT1CST039' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full.

My fault for not paying attention while publishing and filling things up.

Trouble is the SystemCenter page wont load so I cant clear space from there (old espaces I think can be cleared out there) and dbcleaner wont launch. I tried deleting lots of my more silly test apps and only left with the few I was really trying to work on. But no difference.

I thought if I waited a while maybe the systems that check disk space would notice and give me enough breathing room to clear things out properly (in my case its usually a lot of logging that uses the space as thats a big debug tool for me). Sadly that didn't work.

I did log a ticket but the support guys are busy with paying customers, and I'm not one. Thats not sarcasm, I genuinely understand them working on the paid customers and only looking at personal environments when time allows and I actually really appreciate the personal environments.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I notice that dbcleaner does operate by calls to an 'API'. Is this more of a programatic API, essentially a library to interface with the system database which really is only accessible via apps within the system, like db cleaner? Or is it more like a restful webservice that one might be able to wield from outside? If the latter then I'll happily do all the work to get to grips with it and use it to clean out my space wasting myself. Just the documentation only describes what functions do, I didn't see any reference to an endpoint or authentication method one might need to employ.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, even if just "If you've deleted apps then it will probably come back to life when support restart your personal env."

Thanks,
Danny

Hi Danny,

We faced this issue couple of times and have used DBCleaner and also created our own application to call the restAPI using the below link. You can also check the implementation of DBcleaner to see how it is actually deleting db objects.

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Reference/OutSystems_APIs/DbCleaner_API

Our exprience suggested us to use service center to clear out as many old versions as possible. For this you can go to Service Center --> Factory --> espaces-->Check old version to delete

If you have access to database you could actually see the db size getting reduced after deleting old versions.

Some times you will see errors from service center while deleting old versions but keep calm as it will still delete the old versions even though it throws errors. Hope it helps.

Thanks

Ravi

Ravi, Thanks for getting back to me!

I would happily create a new app using the API if I could publish anything but sadly I can't. Unless maybe you are suggesting I could publish either DBCleaner or my own tool from a different environment from the one I need to clear logs from? Perhaps authenticating to the original (and filled-up) env? Is that really possible?

You also mention deleting espaces from service center, but I can't open service center - it never loads, just like dbcleaner wont load (which I have also used many times).

Sadly on the free environment I cannot access the back end database, or at least I don't think I can.

Thanks,

Danny

Hi Danny,

Are you able to deploy the applications ? If yes, you could create a simple timer to call dbcleaner api and atleast delete some older version and create some space. Else you might have to take a back up of existing applications into a newer personal environment temporarily. 

Thanks

Ravi

Ravi,

Sorry but I think I wrote in my original post and in my reply to you earlier that I cannot deploy anything. I guess its possible that those deployments I was testing earlier involved a larger update and that a tiny new app with just a timer call to the api might be smaller, so I'll try to make a new app with nothing in to test.

Thanks,

Danny

Hi,

It was a good suggestion, sadly my tiny app with just the timer and a call to the dbcleanerapi wont deploy with the out of space issue.

I did already try deleting a lot of old little apps so I think I have cleared a lot of space, so its odd that the space isn't available. I do wonder if deleting them from wihtin the outsystems studio leaves the data there until you delete with dbcleaner or ServiceCenter.

Thanks,

Danny

Most data stays. You can check that in DBCLeaner, there is a section for "Data in deleted espaces".

Thanks Nuno, but I can't run DBCleaner, I have tried launching it and it errors along with all my other apps, complaining about disk space.

As far as I know/remember, there is a database maintenance task that runs in the PE once a week that will release free space in the data and log files.

This means that it could take a few days to see the effect of actually deleting a lot of data from your database.

Thank you hanno, I think you are right because at midnight last night everything jumped back into life!