I want to have a Dropdown Select in the details screen that will display external database contents that will change from time to time.

When I add a dropdown and choose the database (inside the Source Entity field) and the column (inside the Source Attribute field, I get an error for Source Entity saying that it must have an identifier in Combo Box widget.

Now when I connected the database to the environment (using this article), it did not get any identifiers assigned to it, so I'm not sure what it is referring to.

Solution

Hi,

In integration studio when you open the entity, make sure that the Identifier is set to the column in you external table that uniquely identifies the records.

Than in the ComboBox you have that identifier too.

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Thank you, that did get the column entries to populate the dropdown. However, that also turned the column into a static entity, which - as far as I understand - means it won't dynamically reflect any changes made in the database. How can I get it to dynamically change on db update? Say, if I insert a new row in ssms, I want a new entry inside the chosen column to appear inside the app's dropdown.


Edit: nevermind, it does repopulate dynamically. I don't really understand how that happens (since it's a static entity), but thank you so much!

outsystems_account1111 outsystems_account1111 wrote:

Thank you, that did get the column entries to populate the dropdown. However, that also turned the column into a static entity, which - as far as I understand - means it won't dynamically reflect any changes made in the database. How can I get it to dynamically change on db update? Say, if I insert a new row in ssms, I want a new entry inside the chosen column to appear inside the app's dropdown.


Edit: nevermind, it does repopulate dynamically. I don't really understand how that happens (since it's a static entity), but thank you so much!

It is not a Static Entity... it is a "regular" Entity that stores its data on an external database not managed by OutSystems.

Jorge Martins wrote:

outsystems_account1111 outsystems_account1111 wrote:

Thank you, that did get the column entries to populate the dropdown. However, that also turned the column into a static entity, which - as far as I understand - means it won't dynamically reflect any changes made in the database. How can I get it to dynamically change on db update? Say, if I insert a new row in ssms, I want a new entry inside the chosen column to appear inside the app's dropdown.


Edit: nevermind, it does repopulate dynamically. I don't really understand how that happens (since it's a static entity), but thank you so much!

It is not a Static Entity... it is a "regular" Entity that stores its data on an external database not managed by OutSystems.

Why did the icon for this column get a vertical red line in the middle then, while all the other columns are blue? The web tutorial said that blue icons are for entities, and blue icons with a red line are static entities.

outsystems_account1111,

As far as I'm aware, you cannot map a Static Entity using Integration Studio, I've never seen what you are describing. Can you show us a screenshot of your entity definition in Integration Studio and how it is displayed in Service Studio's Data tab->Database folder?

For sure. I've attached a screenshot. Prior to setting an identifier, all 4 entities were blue. After I chose the "vit" entry as the identifier inside Integration Studio, the "vit" entity changed to blue with a red stripe.

Your screenshot shows what I was expecting:

  • hue: your entity's icon has three blue columns (a regular entity);
  • vot, vet, vat: your standard attribute's icons have one single middle blue column and two gray columns and;
  • vit: your identifier attribute's icon is the standard middle red column and two gray columns.

A static entity's icon would be a middle red column with two blue columns, which I don't see on the screenshot.

Jorge Martins wrote:

Your screenshot shows what I was expecting:

  • hue: your entity's icon has three blue columns (a regular entity);
  • vot, vet, vat: your standard attribute's icons have one single middle blue column and two gray columns and;
  • vit: your identifier attribute's icon is the standard middle red column and two gray columns.

A static entity's icon would be a middle red column with two blue columns, which I don't see on the screenshot.

Oh I'm feeling dumb now. The red line is on an attribute, not an entity. Thanks again!