Inclusion of new columns at run time

Hi All, 

I want to know if there is any way to include a new column to a table at run time and define the datatype also. This is basically adding a new attribute to the entity from the front end. I want to know if OutSystems Supports such an option. Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards,

Priya 

Hi Priya,

I don't think that is possible.

The only alternative would be that you define your entity as a key / value store, where the actual columns are stored in for example JSON format. This however introduces new issues like migration of old to new formats if you update your JSON structure. All do-able. Adding new columns for search (with indexed) would still be a design time task.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Priya,

I don't think that is possible.

The only alternative would be that you define your entity as a key / value store, where the actual columns are stored in for example JSON format. This however introduces new issues like migration of old to new formats if you update your JSON structure. All do-able. Adding new columns for search (with indexed) would still be a design time task.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel, 

Thank you for the clarification. The columns which we add might also be of an identifier type,of any static entity defined in the application. Will that still be possible to handle with JSON.

Thanks and Regards,

Priya 

Hi Priya,

No that will not be possible.

Entities, Entity attributes as wel for static entities are to be defined at design time.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Priya,

The Table Records widget of OutSystems doesn't supports this feature like Daniel already mentioned. I would give you the advise to maybe also look at the new Grid component OutSystems released recently. It has some more functionalities for developers to "play around with". 

The Grid component supports JSON as a source for it's records.

Kind regards,
Martijn Habraken

Hi Martijn and Daniel, 

Thank you for the input. Let me try the options and update here.

Thanks and Regards,

Priya