Private dataset in public app

Hi everybody.

I want to develop a mobile app that contains a database structure created from an Excel. Once i have te structure and configured the app i want each user of the app can introduce its own private records only accesible and editable by him and not by the rest of the users.

How should i model this and what is the behaviour in the user device, a local table is created, he accesses to his db rows depending on his login info,...?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Juan, 

In mobile, you can use a local storage to store  data the user creates. You can develop the app in a way that all data stored or retrieved go's and comes from the local storage. Every device will be 'isolated' and you can even work offline. 

If you need to sync this data to a server database, you need to imememt the server entities with a UserId foreign key, so that when data is being syncing to the device, you can fetch data specific for the user logged in the device. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers 

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Juan, 

In mobile, you can use a local storage to store  data the user creates. You can develop the app in a way that all data stored or retrieved go's and comes from the local storage. Every device will be 'isolated' and you can even work offline. 

If you need to sync this data to a server database, you need to imememt the server entities with a UserId foreign key, so that when data is being syncing to the device, you can fetch data specific for the user logged in the device. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers 

Hello Eduardo.

Thank you for the reply. Is there any case of use, app example, documentation or tutorial for both solutions?

I have in mind something similar to the second way b

Hi Juan,

I would advice to follow the guided path mobile developer. You build a todo app with todos local to user in app and synchronized to server. 

You can find the guided path on the learn page of OutSystems.

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Hi Juan,

I agree with Daniël and advise you to look at the following course:
https://www.outsystems.com/learn/courses/115/developing-mobile-apps-outsystems-11/

In chapter 3 (Modelling data in Mobile) you see an example how to connect a record to a user. To do that we make a 1-to-many relationship (foreign key) to the default User Entity of OutSystems.

Good luck and have fun with OutSystems!

Kind regards,
Martijn Habraken

Solution

Thanks to everybody. I will to through all of it. I just wanted to make sure before that it was possible!

Regards!