Hello!

I am new to outsystems and web development in general. Do I understand correctly that the use of dependencies in web applications is the equivalent of plugins in mobile applications? 

I apologize for the possibly stupid question))

Hi Nikolai,

No that is not the same.

Plugins are Cordova applications that expose device specific capabilities to be used in your  OutSystems Mobile application (like camera, contacts, etc.).

Dependencies are needed in Mobile And Web to share and reuse public logic or data developed in other (application) modules.

Extra read material:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Extensibility_and_Integration/Mobile_Plugins/Using_Cordova_Plugins

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Hi Nikolai,

you can use outsystems for both web and mobile development, and in both cases you can make use of dependencies.  

Dependencies are a mechanism to allow for a modular architecture of your applications.  It allows you to split your application up in different parts (modules) and you can use dependencies to make those parts work together.

A typical use case is when you reuse common functionality across different projects, for example when you get something from the Forge that was already developed, and make use of that in your application.  Another typical use case is to split a complex application up into smaller parts and layers, to make development manageable.

What is referred to as PlugIns by OS developers, are probably Cordova mobile Plugins, I didn't get that far yet in the course, so I can't really say much more about those, here's the video

Dorine

Solution

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Nikolai,

No that is not the same.

Plugins are Cordova applications that expose device specific capabilities to be used in your  OutSystems Mobile application (like camera, contacts, etc.).

Dependencies are needed in Mobile And Web to share and reuse public logic or data developed in other (application) modules.

Extra read material:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Extensibility_and_Integration/Mobile_Plugins/Using_Cordova_Plugins

Regards,

Daniel

Thank you!

Dorine Boudry wrote:

Hi Nikolai,

you can use outsystems for both web and mobile development, and in both cases you can make use of dependencies.  

Dependencies are a mechanism to allow for a modular architecture of your applications.  It allows you to split your application up in different parts (modules) and you can use dependencies to make those parts work together.

A typical use case is when you reuse common functionality across different projects, for example when you get something from the Forge that was already developed, and make use of that in your application.  Another typical use case is to split a complex application up into smaller parts and layers, to make development manageable.

What is referred to as PlugIns by OS developers, are probably Cordova mobile Plugins, I didn't get that far yet in the course, so I can't really say much more about those, here's the video

Dorine

Thank you!