Is it necessary to store server response in local Storage?

HI All,

Is it mandatory to store server response in local storage to use the data and its type in the other screens.

As i am new to outsystems am trying to pass object from one screen to another screen after getting it from the response.

i am doing the following..

i have consumed response and stored it in a variable and when i am trying to access the same type in the other screen i am not able to find the same datatype.please guide me how to do this.

Thanks

Harish

Hi Harish,

No that is not necessary. You can add input parameters on a screen. On the link or destinatio where you select your destination screen you can then pass the values as input parameters.

Ps. this is a very basic question, I suggest you follow Becoming a Web developer guided path training (free), to get knowledge about the basic concepts on how to create a web application.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Harish,

I'm not sure what you mean with local storage and server response,  But If you are talking about web screens, and server actions, then yes you will need to remember and pass the info you want to use in another screen.

store it as local variable in the screen that retrieves it

have it as input parameter in the screen where you also want to use it

On navigation, pass screen1 local into screen2 input

Video about variables and their scope

Video on screen interaction

Hope this helps,

Dorine

Hi Daniel,

I am developing mobile application, i have a object and i have assigned all values to it after getting the response from the service., now in the other screen there i am not able to see the required datatype(structure).following is the screen shot

launch screen userdata i need it in the dashboard screen so for that i have declared uservalues as  inputvariable, please let me know where i am doing wrong.

thanks

Harish

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Harish,

No that is not necessary. You can add input parameters on a screen. On the link or destinatio where you select your destination screen you can then pass the values as input parameters.

Ps. this is a very basic question, I suggest you follow Becoming a Web developer guided path training (free), to get knowledge about the basic concepts on how to create a web application.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi,

Also for mobile you can use input parameters on screens to pass information, as you do.

I see that the input on Dashboard has a warning, I suggest you check the warnings, they might explain why you have a problem.

More I cannot say from the information you share. Else you need to share the .oml, then I can have a look at it.

For mobile there is also a guided path on outsystems.com/learn called becoming a mobile developer.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi,

The warning is about the variable is never used. attaching .oml please check and let me know the steps.

Thanks

Harish

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi,

Also for mobile you can use input parameters on screens to pass information, as you do.

I see that the input on Dashboard has a warning, I suggest you check the warnings, they might explain why you have a problem.

More I cannot say from the information you share. Else you need to share the .oml, then I can have a look at it.

For mobile there is also a guided path on outsystems.com/learn called becoming a mobile developer.

Regards,

Daniel

So, there is your answer, you don't set and don't use the input parameter.

On the destination Dashboard you have to fill the input parameter.

In your dashboard screen you will have to use the input parameter.

If you would follow the training I suggested, you will learn all about these basic concepts of OutSystems.

The learn site is a much better place to learn OutSystems than the Forum.

Also please next time, just upload the oml to the post, you did it via a 3th party website that I am not allowed to access.

there is no file upload action . To fill the input param there is no structure type of what i am looking for what i am passing is structure from the other screen.

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

So, there is your answer, you don't set and don't use the input parameter.

On the destination Dashboard you have to fill the input parameter.

In your dashboard screen you will have to use the input parameter.

If you would follow the training I suggested, you will learn all about these basic concepts of OutSystems.

The learn site is a much better place to learn OutSystems than the Forum.

Also please next time, just upload the oml to the post, you did it via a 3th party website that I am not allowed to access.

Solution

Hi Harish,

I didn't mention a file upload action. Not sure why you refer to that.

Here is what you have to do:

• In launch screen you get the data and store it in parameters.
  • define the same parameters with correct data type on dashboard screen
  • In you destination of the buttononClick screen action set the parameters.
  • In the Dashboard screen use the parameters.

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

If i have many variables then also we need to pass every variable., instead of that i want to pass entire object for that purpose i am checking for structure to get at my desired location, updated .oml file in the above.

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Harish,

I didn't mention a file upload action. Not sure why you refer to that.

Here is what you have to do:

• In launch screen you get the data and store it in parameters.
  • define the same parameters with correct data type on dashboard screen
  • In you destination of the buttononClick screen action set the parameters.
  • In the Dashboard screen use the parameters.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi,

You asked how to pass parameters to the next screen.

You cannot use a structure list or record list.

So yes, if you think it is to much work to copy past the parameters from the structure as input parameters and set them, then you have to make a local entity to store the values there.

I did propose that solution, as it is just more work to implement. My solution would be a minutes work.

Regards,

Daniel