Creating a custom "wizard" of screens

I am still fairly new to OS.

I am creating a multi-screen custom "wizard". There are 11 screens involved within a popup, as it is part of a larger system. I am currently doing a really long (and ugly) set of trailing if statements in the widget tree to know which screen to display.

Is there a better way?

Hi Shirley,

can you maybe upload your oml, or if not allowed, a demo oml showing what it is you are doing.  What do you mean with trialing if statements, can you give a screenshot of that ?

Dorine

Hi Dorine,

I am unable to attach an .oml due to company policy. Here is a screen shot of the if statements from the widget tree. Each true branch has a screen, and each false branch has an additional if statement. A switch statement would be so useful!! I am wondering if I am missing a better way to do this?

Best,

Shirley

Hi Shirley,

There are many ways to do this, but if you need to do a wizard (as in button next to finish) this is the way to go.

It's the way i would be doing it.

Stefano Valente wrote:

Hi Shirley,

There are many ways to do this, but if you need to do a wizard (as in button next to finish) this is the way to go.

It's the way i would be doing it.

Ok. Thank you!

Solution

Hi Shirley,

i'm not sure how complex your if conditions are, but if they are along the lines of " are we currently at step 5 ", then you can also start a new if after the previous one, instead of in the False branch.  You'll end up with one If more, but they will show up under each other in the widget tree instead of inside each other.  A matter of optics for the developer, but also easier if at some point during development, you decide to go for another sequence of screens, and you like to keep the sequence in design in synch with the actual sequence they are shown.

collapsed view

expanded view

I find it helps to also name the ifs with either a step number, or probably even more usefull with the name of that screen, so if you are looking for the 'fill in address details' step inside a long list of steps, you'll spot it at a glance, even in collapsed view.

Hope this helps,

Dorine

Solution

Dorine Boudry wrote:

Hi Shirley,

i'm not sure how complex your if conditions are, but if they are along the lines of " are we currently at step 5 ", then you can also start a new if after the previous one, instead of in the False branch.  You'll end up with one If more, but they will show up under each other in the widget tree instead of inside each other.  A matter of optics for the developer, but also easier if at some point during development, you decide to go for another sequence of screens, and you like to keep the sequence in design in synch with the actual sequence they are shown.

collapsed view

expanded view

I find it helps to also name the ifs with either a step number, or probably even more usefull with the name of that screen, so if you are looking for the 'fill in address details' step inside a long list of steps, you'll spot it at a glance, even in collapsed view.

Hope this helps,

Dorine

Thank you! I like this much better!! Much easier to manage this way.