Service Center - Front End servers flags

Hi,

Would you know the functionalities of these three flags (Execute Timers, Execute Process & Send Emails) in the Front-End Servers of the Service Center?

Say for example if we have 4 application servers, if  I unchecked the 3 flags in one of the servers, timers/processes/emails can still run in any of the other 3 servers right?

Here's the screecnshot

Here's the screenshot

These flags are used to determine whether this Front-End Server handle Timer/BPT/SendEmail.

Yes, if you disable one of Front-End Server, other Front-End Servers will handle it.

But you need keep at least one Front-End for each function (Timer/BPT/SendEmail)

Otherwise the function will not work properly.

Hi Amelie,

Yes if you uncheck in one of the servers it will still run on the other ones. One good example of this is I don't let timers and processes run on the server that the user access. I have another one that only run this asynchronous jobs. While the one the users access have this flags uncheck.

Regards,

Marcelo

Wei Zhu wrote:

These flags are used to determine whether this Front-End Server handle Timer/BPT/SendEmail.

Yes, if you disable one of Front-End Server, other Front-End Servers will handle it.

But you need keep at least one Front-End for each function (Timer/BPT/SendEmail)

Otherwise the function will not work properly.

Hi Wei Zhu,

Thanks for your reply.  What do you mean need to keep at least for each function?  Because, currently we have

4 application servers running ( 2 PROD servers and 2 DR servers).  My plan is to disable the 3 flags in the 2 DR servers.  Will that be OK? I still have the 2 PROD servers where the 3 flags are enabled. Would that work?

Marcelo Ferreira wrote:

Hi Amelie,

Yes if you uncheck in one of the servers it will still run on the other ones. One good example of this is I don't let timers and processes run on the server that the user access. I have another one that only run this asynchronous jobs. While the one the users access have this flags uncheck.

Regards,

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,  

Thanks for your reply.  I think this answered my problem.  Because we have 4 applications servers that are currently running ( 2 production servers and 2 DR servers). Since all the 3 flags are checked on all the servers, the interface programs can run in any of the applications servers.  Hence, the interface files are scattered on all application servers. We want the interface files to be generated in only one server. So to resolve this, I need only to check the 3 flags on one server so that all interface files will be generated on that server. Is that correct?

Hi,

What do you mean my interface files? 

From the top comment yes you can disable this on DR servers till you need them to become the active ones.

Regards,

Marcelo

Marcelo Ferreira wrote:

Hi,

What do you mean my interface files? 

From the top comment yes you can disable this on DR servers till you need them to become the active ones.

Regards,

MarceloI

Hi Marcelo,

Interface files are files being generated from the Interface program set in the Timer to be run daily.  The files are stored in the application servers.  We want the file to be stored only in one server.  hence, we need to disable the Execute Timer & Execute Process flags in the other 3 servers.  So that interface program will be run only on the first server and so is the generation of files.