Concerning with Manage Dependecies

Hello  there,

We like to know  the specific explanation about manage dependencies.

The condition is when the espace and its elements need to get refresh.

First we choose the espace that needs to get refresh <refresh icon appear at that time > then we choose to refresh the espace`s elements <refresh icon disappear at that time > 

1.What we can tell the condition  if we choose to refresh only in the espace`s elements and not click the refresh icon besides the espace<Chart>.

Thank you in ahead,

Sincerly,

EiMon.

Just press the refresh all button 

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Just press the refresh all button 

Hello Daniël Kuhlmann 

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, we know it.

But,what else if we only click the refresh ONLY in the elements and  apply. We tested it and it worked.

I like to know that why outsystems give those refresh icon  in  both espace area and the elements area.

Thanks  you in ahead,

eimon 

So you have the option to refresh all dependencies or only specific once. Suppose one of the updated dependencies has a an updated server action with new mandatory input parameter, that you can not implement now in you module, then you do not want to update that dependency.

To be honest, I never ever use the buttons on the modules, always refresh all. 

Hi, 

The refresh icon appears when something in the module changed that can have a potential impact on your module. For example, if an input parameter is added to a server action. 

If you don't refresh the dependence, your module is not aware of this change. Trying to use the server action will not show the new input parameter. 

This may or may not cause a problem, as when you publish you will use the new version even if you didn't refreshed it. 

In some cases, this will pass unoticed. For example, if the new input is not mandatory. In others, the SS will not allow you to publish without refreshing, as the changing is a breaking changing. For example, if the new input is mandatory. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers 

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

So you have the option to refresh all dependencies or only specific once. Suppose one of the updated dependencies has a an updated server action with new mandatory input parameter, that you can not implement now in you module, then you do not want to update that dependency.

To be honest, I never ever use the buttons on the modules, always refresh all. 

Thank you So much for the definite answer. 

It helps a lot for the OS development..

Thank Again  Daniel .

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi, 

The refresh icon appears when something in the module changed that can have a potential impact on your module. For example, if an input parameter is added to a server action. 

If you don't refresh the dependence, your module is not aware of this change. Trying to use the server action will not show the new input parameter. 

This may or may not cause a problem, as when you publish you will use the new version even if you didn't refreshed it. 

In some cases, this will pass unoticed. For example, if the new input is not mandatory. In others, the SS will not allow you to publish without refreshing, as the changing is a breaking changing. For example, if the new input is mandatory. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers 

Dear Eduardo Jauch 

Thank you for the useful information. 

Sincerely,

Eimon

Daniel, 

AFAIK, if you are already using the server action when a new mandatory input parameter is added to it, not refreshing the dependency will cause an error during publishing, as every time you publish the consumer module, it will automatically use the new module producer version that contains the new mandatory version.

For example, if you changed the code of the action and not the interface, the refresh option will not appear in the dependencies, but when you publish the consumer, the new version with the changed code will be used. 

If you are not using it, refreshing will not cause harm. 

Cheers 

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks yes you are right, my example was not correrctly describing the use case of not refreshing a module dependency. 

Luckily we have you to moderate the forum and point it out.

Ps will you be at next step Amsterdam. Would love to meet.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Not a problem. :)
I am not right all the time either ;) haha

Unfortunately, I'll not be able to attend NextStep this year (Denver or Amsterdam). Let's see if I will be able to make it next year :)

Cheers!

Every time a module is changed, try to open manage dependency on the modules that depend on the changed module and refresh them even if They are not shown as obsolete modules (say, the signature of the change module is not modified), else the older version is used.

regards

Hello Eduardo Jauch    Thank you for the previous answers.

We are still wondering why the refresh icon on the module side still appear?(please see the second photo)
We thought if we clicked the refresh icon on the right side of the elements ,the refresh icon of the module would be disappeared.
Why the refresh icon still appearing on the module side even after we already refreshed on the right side of the elements.?

Thank you again

Hi, 

In general, it should disappear. 

But ui Web is a system module. 

If you notice the message warning on it, you will see that the module Producer is outdated itself. 

It may be that this is causing the refresh icon to not go away. I'll ask around to see if it is that the case. 

Cheers 

Dear Jauch 

Sorry for this kind of question.The following pics are the conditions of other module.

We just want to deliver the best explanation  to our local customer .....

Thanks you xo much.

Hi Eimon, 

This is interesting. 

The message says that what has changed was the description of the module itself, not something public available inside the module. That's why the refresh keeps appearing. This is not something you can mark in the elements panel. 

Could you see if pressing refresh all the refresh icon disappears? 

This behaviour does not feel natural and clearly is leading to some confusion. I already alerted OutSystems. Let's see what the say. 

Cheers 

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi Eimon, 

This is interesting. 

The message says that what has changed was the description of the module itself, not something public available inside the module. That's why the refresh keeps appearing. This is not something you can mark in the elements panel. 

Could you see if pressing refresh all the refresh icon disappears? 

This behaviour does not feel natural and clearly is leading to some confusion. I already alerted OutSystems. Let's see what the say. 

Cheers 

Hi Eduardo Jauch 

Thank you . All the refresh icon disappear if the button was pressed. 

Sorry for the late reply. 

Sincerely ,

Eimon.