Chat

Hi,

Did anyone develop a chat room in outsystems? Does anyone know if it is possible?

Thank's in advance,

Best Regards

FN
Yes i want that too specially how to refresh the page after a create message. Process??
Evert van der zalm wrote:
Wouldn't this be an option:

http://www.outsystems.com/NetworkSolutions/ProjectDetail.aspx?ProjectId=258

Yes but i have tested this once and didnt work out

Hello all,

Is possible to create a web chat... but it has several challenges.

To create a Facebook-like chat you must have a Javascript window system allowing: expand, collapse and hidden windows (in case you exceed the maximum visible).
You'll need 2 different window types (at least): 1 fixed contact list and N conversation windows.
They should be able to recover the state on each request (page navigation) - this should be a lightweight process.
You also may have challenges regarding cross-server communications (if you use iframes :) - lots, lots of fun...

I suggest that you start by this part above.

Now you'll need 2 different screens:
- contact list
- chat window
Note: Pages use CSS - if you don't set all the styles for each element you'll inherit styles from the parent page (you should visit every page to make sure the styles are ok).

Regarding each conversation you'll have several options, but (since the platform doesn't support XMPP and the servers may have a limit of connections) I suggest that you keep it simple: pulling (auto-refresh every X seconds - you can surely optimize this according to inactivity, etc)

Then wrap it all in a Webblock and just add it to your pages' header/footer.

If you have any doubts just ask :)

-

PS: I might add a chat component one of these days, stay tuned.

Hélio Dolores wrote:
I suggest that you keep it simple: pulling (auto-refresh every X seconds - you can surely optimize this according to inactivity, etc)

Therefor I've put this link in  http://anantgarg.com/2009/05/13/gmail-facebook-style-jquery-chat/
T
hat on works on pulling every x seconds
Hélio Dolores wrote:

Hello all,

Is possible to create a web chat... but it has several challenges.

To create a Facebook-like chat you must have a Javascript window system allowing: expand, collapse and hidden windows (in case you exceed the maximum visible).
You'll need 2 different window types (at least): 1 fixed contact list and N conversation windows.
They should be able to recover the state on each request (page navigation) - this should be a lightweight process.
You also may have challenges regarding cross-server communications (if you use iframes :) - lots, lots of fun...

I suggest that you start by this part above.

Now you'll need 2 different screens:
- contact list
- chat window
Note: Pages use CSS - if you don't set all the styles for each element you'll inherit styles from the parent page (you should visit every page to make sure the styles are ok).

Regarding each conversation you'll have several options, but (since the platform doesn't support XMPP and the servers may have a limit of connections) I suggest that you keep it simple: pulling (auto-refresh every X seconds - you can surely optimize this according to inactivity, etc)

Then wrap it all in a Webblock and just add it to your pages' header/footer.

If you have any doubts just ask :)

-

PS: I might add a chat component one of these days, stay tuned.

Hi Hélio,

Have you developed that chat component?
Hi Marcos,

I'm thinking about creating a component in the Forge within the next weeks.
The version I have is functional but needs some tuning. I might need an helping hand from the community (since I don't have much time right now).

Regards,
HD